What's new

HK AVR-125 or Onkyo TXSR500? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
This is the sort of post I cringe at on here, but..... lol

I know both are fairly equal quality. I also know that both can be had for a song these days.

I had actually ordered the HK AVR-125, but as maybe luck would have it, the order did not process on my card.

Since then I found the Onkyo TXSR500 even cheaper than the H/K, Features are close, with maybe power going to the Onkyo.

Purpose: "My brother-in-law and his family are using a very very low end HTIB, the other day we were watching some NASA DVD's and his sub was awefully flap'n in the breeze on launches" At this point I decided to give him and his family a decent HT sound system for xmas.

I can either go ahead and get the H/K for $180 including shipping, or I could go with the Onkyo for like $160 including shipping. That amount of money sure isn't enough to squable about, but which one do the people on here in the know think would be better?

Thanks for your opinion in advance....

John S

Senior HTF Member
Let me re-phrase the question some...

I am a Denon guy, I love their power amps, which one's amps have more of the Denon tone and feel so to speak??

Thanks again in advance....

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
The avr125 has a nice warm sound and no shortage of clean power. It's also easy to set up.
It weighs 27lbs. so I doubt it would underperform the Onkyo with a power supply like that.
ecost.com has the referb Onkyo TX-SR501 for $185

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks