HK avr-110 or Panasonic HE-100?? need help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe_waite, Feb 25, 2003.

1. joe_waite

joe_waite Stunt Coordinator

hello, sorry about all the posts but im trying to figure out which reciever will work best for me. i can get the hk 110 from harmanaudio for $167 or the panasonic he-100 for $220 shipped from the internet also. which do you guys recomend? it will be used in a small apartment setting. i will have jbl s26 fronts/rears, s-center, and sony 12"sub. i want to use an xbox and a dvd player composite and digital audio for both... (not sure the HK will accept composite, does it?) i only have 1 composite on my tv and 1 s-video. let me know what you guys think my best bet is. my system will be used for about 60% music and 40%HT.

2. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Buy the HK. It has all the basic hook ups that you need plus it looks better & has a better amp & remote than the Panny.

LOGIC 7 is a plus & is better too me than DPL2.

With the HK you get a 2 year warranty.

With the Panny you get 1 year warranty.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I use the SAHE100 with an XBOX and it's great to use the AV pack and an optical digital cable to play games in 5.1. Even more enjoyable is the fact that the reciever can play those XBOX 5.1 tracks with a matrixed back surround (6.1). Playing "Halo" with 6.1 channels for a 360 degree experience is nothing short of remarkable.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

HK. Never seen the Panny, but I have the HK ($318 a year ago) and it's awesome.

5. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

Joe,

Do you mean component input? (red, green, blue)

Cheers,

Sean

6. joe_waite

yes sean, thats what i mean. im also throwing the pioneer 711 in the mix now. so what do you guys think? im leaning towards the HK right now. cant beat the price.... thanks

7. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

If the HK 110 is an entry level model, it likely does not have component input/switching, although I can't verify that. I know the panasonic and the pioneer do. The remote on the panny isn't great and it doesn't have pre-outs so upgrading with an amp is a no. But, the panny will work fine with the speakers you have. It outputs more than enough power for an apt. sized room. Either the panny or the pioneer should do you. I chose the panny because of the 6.1 capability.

Cheers,

Sean

8. joe_waite

thanks sean, so you would recomend both the pioneer and the panasonic over the HK? thank you

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Joe -

You need to go look at them - play with the remotes - count the things you'll be plugging in and how you'll need it to switch video for you -

Folks here have what they have and will tell you what they like and don't like, but really, once you buy, you can always sell and buy again.

HK's have a good music / HT reputation. Pioneer has been around forever and they have great bang for the buck. Panasonic has been around as Technics, but they were never really popular, but by no means a bad name either.

Just make a list of what you NEED out of this machine and go for it. It'll be better than you think and you'll be glad you did.

In hindsight, on the AVR110 from HK - I wish I had pre-amp outputs. I don't need component video switching. I wish I had 4 rear panel video connections. 4 digital inputs are just fine, thanks. 40 watts is enough for me. I almost wish the remote was a learner.

Am I happy? Yes. Will you be?

10. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

I would do exactly what Colin said. Make a list of what you need/want on your receiver and select the model(s) that fit your criteria. I only suggested the pioneer and panny over the HK because of the component switching. In terms of which one sounds better is up to you to listen to them and decide.

Cheers,

Sean

11. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I suggest the H/K for the amplifer section alone. I was in your shoes but MY priority is sound and sound alone. As long as I had 5.1 DD and DTS I just wanted to cleanest reproduction of the signal...I got it for under $200. (AVR 120)

12. joe_waite

kyle, where did you get the 120 for under $200?? thanks

13. Dale B

Dale B Stunt Coordinator

Hi Joe, I have the 110 and a technics sa da-10, which is made by panasonic. I have been hooking and on hooking each of them for about a month now. I finally settled on the technics because I find it to be quite a bit better sounding when watching movies, and just as good as the hk when listening to music. Don't know if this helps your decision, but I would agree that you should listen and decide for yourself. The sa da-10 was originally 800 dollars when it first came out, and the 110 was 399 for what its worth.

14. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

Harmankardon.com
    It was a refurb unit with full warranty. ($198) Turned out it weighs 6lbs more than the 125, has an extra set of A/V inputs and decodes MP3's as opposed to the new 125. It came looking brand new- I couldn't be happier. They ran this special for about 3 wks then went to something else. Keep your eye out for the refurb receivers on that site. Some are real steals.

15. joe_waite

the 120 is back up on the site again for $198. im thinking about picking that one up.

16. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I highly suggest doing so- it looks factory new... not a blemish or fingerprint on it.

17. Serge Ch

Serge Ch Agent

I just got HK avr-7000 (110 real watt of power) very cheap on eBay/harmakardon store. It's "refurb" but comes with full 2 year warranty + 1 extra year since I bought on American Express card.

Harmakardon sells lotsa stuff there. Though they call that equipment refurbished, I suspect most of it is brand new - the company desperatly needs money so they sell on the damping prices with "refurb" cover.

As for Panny vs. HK I would go with HK - it has much better amplifier. The silver Panny HE-200 is really nice unit though, if you could afford it.