What's new

HK AVR 10 warm in standby? (1 Viewer)

SeiR

Auditioning
Hello,

I bought a second hand Harman Kardon AVR 10 about one year ago through Ebay. Overall, I am satisfied. Although it says it will pump out only 35wpc, it is plenty for me, driving Boston Acoustics A40.

There is a thing that bothers me. First, the receiver seems to be quite warm while it is in standby. Receiver is cool if I turn the switch to "off" position. Whether I keep the receiver in standby or playing it for a few hours ( I do play at low volumes, the volume dial is at around 9 o'clock direction), it seems to be at around the same temperature. It appears to me that the "standby" just means turning off the display and disable the control buttons only, and keep the receiver on with full power on its active circuits, or I have a leaky capacitor somewhere.. I understand the receiver can be warm in standby, but how warm is normal? I did consider an entry level onkyo (502), but that one didn't even have a "off" button, so I assume it wil have the same problem.

Is the "standby" more a thing for higher end manufacturers? I also have a yamaha receiver, which I can hear a "click" when I turn it on and off, and will stay cool when I turn it to "off" position using remote control... Obviously the H/K does not do that. It goes to "standby" to "on" mode instantly, without a click... and does not respond I turn the switch to "off".

I would appreciate advices. Thanks in advance..

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
My HK's have always had body heat in all modes of operation, unless completely switched off.

You could bring it in for a bench test, or have it metered to rate power consumption @ standby tobe sure.

rob-h

Second Unit
Hook it up to an x10 module and just turn it on and off by x10 remote if it bothers you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks