HK AV 120 vs Denon AVR 1602 vs AVR 1802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Bedell, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

I've got my search for a good receiver narrowed down to these three. I really do not want to spend much more than $300 if at all possible. I've found these from (I think) reliable sources that honor warranty claims:

AVR 120 - $327.89 shipped from jandr.com

AVR 1602 - $321.23 shipped from reliableaudiovideo.com

AVR 1802 - $375.58 shipped from reliableaudiovideo.com

I don't yet have a use for more i/o than the 1602 offers, but I suppose it's possible in the future. I basically have a computer with a digital out as well as a DVD player to come sooner or later. Then game consoles would come next, as I think most of them now support digital output. The AVR 120 I haven't been able to find much information on. While I don't think that the 40x5 rating will be insufficient to drive my baby cambridge soundworks speakers with a passive sub, if I upgrade to heavy bookshelf speakers or floorstanding models, will I be up a smelly creek sans paddle? I mainly listen to jazz influenced electronic music, but sometimes rap, rock, and occasional pop.

Also, reliableaudiovideo claims a high level of service through yahoo. Is this true? Does anyone have any feedback? I found nothing when searching. I've already read good things about J&R.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I can vouch for the 40x5 my AVR110 puts out...

My NHT's are rated at 86db, considered low efficiency by many standards, and I have more power than I need 95% of the time. That 5% is when I am demo-ing movies for friends at actual reference level, not during normal usage.

Great sound, but the digital interface is rough around the edges, as the 'buffer' (lack of a better term) is not muted when the bitstream is interrupted. When I have the volume up for calibration and I hit stop on the DVD player, the speakers emit a digitized, sizzly bleep that is quite annoying. Like scratching the needle across a record in the digital realm.

Not enough to keep me from buying it again, but I'd rather it didn't do that.

Have fun!

3. Matt Bedell

Matt Bedell Extra

Is this to say that when I have this hooked to my computer and it's not playing something I will have this buzzing noise? That's a pretty big fault, since I'll have the unit on most of the time, since it'll be my source for all my computer sounds as well. Do you know if the Denons exhibit this same flaw?

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No, it's like the pipeline farts for 1/4 of a second as the bits leak out...

Nothing serious, and only at high levels.

Not enough to keep me from buying it again.

5. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

Here's a vote for the 1802. The extra power and functionality of the 1802 over the other models is well worth the $50 price difference.
    Check out the reviews at www.cheaphometheather.com

6. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

remember that the power ratings are somewhat misleading, as H/K's are rated all channels driven and Denon's are with one channel driven.