HK Amp 2 CVS or no way ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JimMAC, Apr 3, 2004.

1. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Ops, what the heck is CVS ? Must be on drugs.

I have an older Harmon Kardon amp that is not being used at the moment. I read about the SVS passive subs, and thought that I could use the HK PM 665, 100w/ch, .08%thd. to power two SVS's. Anyone have an opinion on this ? Or should I stick with active powered versions ?

Thanks,
    Mac

2. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Mac,

Yes, as long as you have a Dolby Digital receiver for your bass management/crossover duties, that HK amp will probably work fine. I would imagine that's a power rating into 8 Ohms however and the CS subs (the least expensive passive subs, and the ones be suited for that sort of amp) are nominally rated for 4 Ohms.

Some care will have to be paid in calibration but the net result is that you should see effectively 150watts or more into each SVS which will be enough to achieve VERY robust audio in a mid-sized room.

The 20-39CS would be the most popular size. Put two of them side by side in a corner of your room to eliminate the issue of sound degrading phase cancellation and you are all set. If you are intending to put them in separate locations, due to space or aesthetic reasons you might consider the subsonic filter and phase/gain control we sell too.

All things considered a PC type SVS would be very viable but I expect that with about the same money spent (on two CS subs, vice one PCi sub) you'll get better performance from dual CS subs and your old amp (though it'd probably not be a night/day thing).

Ron

3. JimMAC

JimMAC Agent

Thanks Ron,
    My room will be 13' wide by 20' feet long, with fairly low ceiling at 6'10" in the back half, while 7'9" at the front by the screen. Would two SVS CS's (20-39) overpower this room ? I was wondering if the best placement would be front and rear corners of the room rather than together ? And finally should the amp be physically close to the speakers for short wire runs or what would be the longest wire run that you would recommend ?

Thanks,
    Mac