HK 7200 User Help?...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Johnal, May 21, 2005.

1. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of my receiver that I am currently having issues with. I allowed my friends to watch a DVD while I was gone and they couldn't figure out how to change the inputs at first so they were just pushing a lot of buttons. Anyway, here's a closer look at what i'm about to talk about...
    [​IMG]
    My set up is in my room and I haven't set up any surround speakers so I only have a center channel with the left and rights. (Ascend 340's btw) Anyway, I could have sworn that I always had my receiver set to "3 Stereo" and now it's stuck on the regular Dolby Digital settings. Am I missing something? Also, I don't recall seeing those letters that display the speaker layout ever being there before. (SL, LFE, and SR) What settings would have changed to make those suddenly appear. Thanks in advance!

-Johnal

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    According to the picture, you have your fronts and center set to large (indicated by two red boxes around each letter) and the sub set to LFE. Also, you have your surrounds set to "None" (no red box). You are receiving a 5.1 signal indicated by the yellow dot next to Dolby DD (of course) and the LS and RS white letters on the left of your display. There are no red boxes around these as you have your surrounds turned of. But the receiver is getting surround info so the LS and RS are lit. The LFE should have been there before unless you also had the sub turned off and your friends turned it on again. As for 3 Stereo, it's not available for 5.1 tracks. It's only available for Pro Logic and stereo recordings. It's accessed by the little Dolby button in the row of five buttons in the middle of the receiver. When watching a 5.1 DVD, only DD Digital is available indicated by the yellow dot next to DD, as it is in your picture. The 7200 will matrix the surrounds to the fronts when the surrounds are turned off. In short, everything seems to be set right. You only have to choose 3 Stereo if you pop in a stereo or Pro Logic disc. I hope this covers it and I didn't leave anything out. BTW I only have a 520 [​IMG] , but it's operation is the same.

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Like Gene said, everything should be right, except for sub. You didn't mention you had a sub so you need to turn it off. Go into the OSD menu and set it off for DD. If you have a sub, turn the speakers to small and set the crossover to what sounds best for you (depends on the speakers and subwoofer).

Is there something wrong in the sound?

4. Ryan-C

Ryan-C Auditioning

HK 525 here....I stand in awe looking at it's big brother...aka 7200

beautiful

5. Steve*W

Steve*W Agent

Sounds to me like they turned on your Dig Coax connection (for the first time by your shock). So now your receiver is getting a DD signal, as opposed to a stereo signal.

P.S. My 225 also stands in awe of it's MUCH bigger brother

6. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Well, the only output coming from my DVD player is through the digital coax so how would I have been listening to anything except for DD before? Confusing, but oh well, at least all is well. [​IMG]

-J