HK 7200 to 7300?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by kumar, Feb 1, 2005.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Gang,

I have a HK 7200 (little over a year old). Extremely happy with it. Connected in a 5.1 setup.

Now, I feel I am having the symptoms of Upgradititis. Is it worth selling my Hk7200 and upgrade to 7300 just for the Faroudja processor and a little bit more power. Or stay put and be happy with what I already got and spend the money on other stuff [​IMG]

If it is something worth exploring, how much would I be able to sell my MINT CONDITION (still under mfg warranty) HK 7200 receiver for?

2. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Not a lot of difference between the two. The main differences that I see are:

-double the coax and optical audio imputs, 2 added Cat5 imputs and 1 more imput for everything else (component, S-video etc.)

-Dobly Pro Logic IIx

-a little more power, but I doubt that your 7200 is even close to being taxed to it's limits. (impressing friends doesn't count[​IMG])

The best price I've seen it for is $1400, which is almost $600 more than what I paid for my 7200.
    It's not worth it, IMO.

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Oh and the other useful feature it has is that the remote can be set so that it doesn't automatically switch back to avr functions after using it for something else.

If my 7200 remote did this, I would not have bought a universal remote.

4. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

I think a key thing you say here is that you're still very pleased w/ your 7200. There's not really anything in the 7300 that's going to greatly change your HT experience IMHO. I'd hold off for another couple generations of receivers or processors before thinking of upgrading.

5. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Brad and Andrew.. you are right... though MS. Temptress Upgradititis tempted me.. I should not give in....
    Be Strong!!! [​IMG]

As Andrew said I will wait for few more generations to go through.

How is the Faroudja's upscaling capabilities on this piece?

6. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

An upgrade you might want to try that isn't as drastic as swapping a new receiver in would be to get some rear surrounds. When I added mine to my system, it greatly enhanced my surround experience. This is provided you can fit the rears in somewhere into your room.