Hk 630

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Antonio_B, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

I just got my Harmon/Kardon 630 receiver,then hooked it up to all my Polk speakers but i noticed that it wasn't very loud.
    I could only hear bass and almost no dialogue or sound coming from the fronts.
    What do you guys suggest to get the best sound possible?

Speakers:
    -Polk RTi10
    -Polk CSi3
    -Velodyne CHT-12
    -Polk FXi5

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Can't tell from your post if you're having a real problem with the sound or you're just dissatisfied with the volume. Did you follow the proper setup procedures? What was the listening source? If a DVD was the DD or DTS indicator lit?
    Have you calibrated with AVIA or internal HK tones?

Sounds like an improper setup...read the manual thoroughly.

3. DanJV

DanJV Extra

Antonio...first, make certain you've hooked up your speakers to the correct terminals in the back of the AVR. A common mistake is to hook them to the wrong terminals.

2nd, makes certain you use EZSET to calibrate your speakers. I always check the calibration with a Radio Shack SPL meter because sometimes the auto set-up routines can be wrong.

Let us know if that helps. If not, then we must have more info.

4. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

Definitely sounds like improper hookup. The 630 is a very powerful receiver, and your sound should be more substantial than what you've posted. If you don't have an SPL [which is preferred], the 630 does use HK's patented EZ-set - which we'll do the trick for calibrating the sound emitted from your setup.

Question: What receiver did you use before, or in other words - what is the 630 replacing?

5. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

this is my first receiver ever

I just tried the THX optimizer included in one of my DVD's and everything went well in the video setup.
    Now i had some problems in the audio setup.
    Apparently all my speakers were hooked up to the receiver in the wrong way.
    Isn't (-) to (-) and (+) to (+)?
    Because that's exactly what i've done for all speakers and it tells me that some of my speakers are "out-of-phase".
    Weird...

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Follow the color coding of the speaker terminals on both the receiver and the speakers, usually black and red...but not always. If the connectors on the speakers themselves are not color coded you must make absolutely sure the +/- have not been crosswired during their run. If this is OK, then some or all of the speakers may be miswired internally, especially the fronts. This is not as uncommon as one might think. Aside from opening the speakers up and checking for yourself, you can simply switch the connections (crosswire) and test again. If the sound is fuller and more robust you have solved your problem.

7. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

What modes are you using? Are you using the OSD for you setup? I had the same thing happen when I first tried using my AVR320. Be sure to read the manual thoroughly. The HK AVRs can be very complex for the beginner Home Theater hobbyist, private message me and I can walk you through your setup.