HK 525 Vs. Denon 3803 Video Only!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher M, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

Yes, another one of these threads.

Purely on the video side of things though. From what I've seen/read and the specs, to me the Denon looks like its better for video. Partially because it has twice the bandwidth for the component vs. the HK.

Any other comments on this?

Thanks

Murdock

2. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

purely for video, I'd go Onkyo.

3. Christopher M

Christopher M Stunt Coordinator

But my question is between these two. I've see the long discussions on audio, I'm just curious about the video of these two.

Murdock

4. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

I see no degradation on my AVR-3803 going straight or with the up-conversion. I had a bit of noise on black levels with my Yamaha RX-V2095.

While the component video up-conversion doesn't change the resolution, it does other good things. One of the main advantages of component video is that there is no color bleed as there is with S-Video and composite video. When converting a S-Video signal to component video, there is no color bleed. So in my findings, there is "BETTER" video quality when using the component video up-converting.

To see color bleed and the lack of, use Video Essentials color bar pattern. Look at the edges and you'll see the difference between component and S-Video.

Also with AVR-3803, the component video switching is done through mechanical relays instead of bandwidth limiting ICs(Integrated Circuits). Denon rates the bandwidth at 100Mhz but that must had been to put a number on it. Using a mechanical switch is no different than hooking directly up to the television. There's no degradation with a mechanic switch(relay) unless the contacts are oxidized or are not making correctly. ICs have internal bandwidth limits since they are electronic circuits and not a simple switch. Relays are very expensive.

The bad part with relays is that they fail easier than an IC. I know, I replace about 3 of them every month in my line of work. Of course this is in a dirty, industrial environment that is very severe on these.

Since both of the receivers can be had from local chain stores that offer good return policies, Tweeter & Circuit City, I'd buy both and audition at home. That way you'll see how the video pass through will work.

Good luck on your decision.