HK-525 sound issues.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohnO, Dec 12, 2003.

1. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

I have recently purchased a 525 and am trying to figure why my satellite receiver running through video 1 analog inputs, Logic 7, or DPLII, seems to sound better than my dvd's do when running through coax1 or opt1 in DD or DTS mode. My center channel sounds kind of dull at times and the sound is not as rich as I expected it to be. I have tried to adjust the treble and bass which I don't like doing but it does'nt solve the problem. Adjusting the OSD levels make it a little louder but the dullness is still there at lower volumes. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

2. John S

John S Producer

Often times there is a compression or day/night mode, make sure it is set to no compression, or day mode.....

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

IMO DVD disks are not created equal. Disks labeled 5.1 seem to range between 4.1 to 5.1. If dialog is clear during regular movie watching , you probably have no problem. You may be noticing a lack of center channel activity with certain disk when watching concert DVD's. If so, rather than try to emphisize the center through adjustments, leave as is, or if still considered distracting, de-emphisize. The main speakers ,r/l, are the important reproducers of music and in almost all cases, the center is of little importance on such disks.

4. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

Thanks guys. The receiver does have a nite mode but it is turned off and the dvd's are all movies and not concert dvd's. I will try to adjust the front l/r and see what happens. The center is on the top of my television and the l/r's are about 5 feet to either side however the center is about 10 feet from my listening position where the l/r's are about 12 feet and I cant find any way to adjust the delay for the center only and not affect the l/r's in the delay menu. I've also got my l/r's elevated to be within about 6" of the same height as my center and my center tilted downward towards my listening position. I dont know what else to do because I want to like this receiver and not test out another which I'm thinking about an OB Onkyo-700 from CC. Thanks.

5. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

If you're expecting satellite sound to be as good as DVDs, then you're in for a disappointment. Only some HD programs get DD5.1, and like 99% of all analog/SD programming get 2.0, and most of them are compressed (sound and picture). Logic7 and DPLII do a great job of converting the 2.x signals, but because they are compressed, there's no way they'll sound anywhere as good as the DVDs.

6. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

Thats not the problem that I am having. The problem is that the satellite sounds better than the dvd's . Thanks

7. John S

John S Producer

Yes, your saying 2 channel sources sound better.. Seems quite exactly opposite of ever other system including mine, that I have come across.

Strange indeed.

I am wondering if another dvd player may help, certainly that is it, if it is not the receiver.

8. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

My dvd player is a sony DVP-NC665P. I'll try to get my hands on another make to compare the two. I did'nt know that dvd players could sound different but I'm willing to try. I did try switching from Opt1 to Coax1 but I can't tell any difference. I thought that their may have been a problem with a dvd output or HK input.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I wonder if your bass management isn't configured differently? You might be applying bass management to your input from your satellite, but not from your DVD playback.

By chance, is your bass management set to global? Global is the default setting, but you also have the option to set up your bass management as "independent" - for each input connection. Page 23 of the owner's manual has more information on these settings.

That's about all I can think of when it comes to the different quality of sound that you are experiencing between satellite broadcasts and DVD.

10. Wayne Ernst

John,

One more thing comes to mind with DVD playback. Have you noticed whether the "dullness" that is present while watching a DVD happens when you are using Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS - or both?

11. Guyza

Guyza Stunt Coordinator

I have an HK525 and noticed a similar problem.

What I found was that my DVD player (a really, really, really, cheap one!) was decoding the dolby first, then the HK was feeding off of that.

I went to the DVD setup options and changed the output stream to BITSTREAM. This sends the "raw" undecoded DVD signal to the HK and allows the HK to decipher it.

My whole sound spectrum and dynamics opened up after that!!

Check it out and report back.
    good luck,
    guy

12. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Good advice from both Wayne and Guy.
    Also try setting your centre speaker to large mode and see what you think.

13. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

Wayne, My bass management is set to global for all inputs and the dullness sounds the same on DD & DTS with DTS sounding a little better but not much, even if thats not psychological. Guyza, I looked into the outputs on my DVD player and they are set to what is recommended for having a receiver that decodes. The other option was for D-PCM out and that didnt sound right. MarcH, I have toggled my center back and forth from small to large and it only changes a little. The only problem is that it is only rated down to 80Hz and when set to large, no LFE from the center signal goes to the sub only to the center according to the manual.

14. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

FROM PREVIOUS POST, Thanks for all of the options guys. I'm thinking of trying a pioneer-563 player maybe tonight to see if there is any difference. I hope it works

15. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Have you calibrated the speaker levels for each surround mode?

16. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

Frank, I have calibrated all levels with EZ-set and by ear and the problem doesnt seem to resolve itself. Thanks

17. Frank Carter

Just to be explicitly clear, have you calibrated in each separate surround mode? For some reason I can never get the EZ set to work correctly on my AVR325 so I just use my SPL meter and test disc instead.

18. JohnO

JohnO Auditioning

Frank, I believe that I have, but the only surround mode that I use while playing dvd's is DD or DTS and I have calibrated both of them,they sound pretty close to the same. In my video2 inputs for my satellite I have calibrated for DPL2, Logic7, Neo6 and 5 channel stereo. The satellite sounded noticeably better. However, last night I tried a different dvd player and could tell a big difference in the sound. I didnt have a lot of time to play with it but was pleased with hearing a sound that was close to being right. I'll have to let you know more after I get a chance to tinker. Thanks

19. Frank Carter

Ok, I just wanted to make sure because when I first got my HK receiver I didn't realize I had to calibrate for each separate surround mode. The Yamaha and Onkyo receivers I'd previously used didn't require it so I never thought of it until I noticed it sounded funny.

Good to hear it sounds like the problem might be resolved w/the new dvd player.

20. Wayne Ernst

John,

Which DVD player did you select to replace the Sony?

Thanks.