HK 525 shut down today...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Brent, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch LOTR today. Good movie.....long, but good.

There was a scene where there was a fairly good transient burst, and the whole receiver shut off.

Here are the associated conditions:

Paradigm studio 60's, CC, Atlantic Tech 374 surrounds. Everything is 90 dB efficiency, I think. Volume set to -15, with trims set to +5 L/R, +7 Center, +5 surrounds.

I repeated the scene several times, and it shut off every time. I raised the volume to -20 and it didn't shut off.

The TV is plugged in to the switched outlet also on the back of the receiver.

Any ideas???

2. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

OK something is really really wrong.

I just was listening to some blues, and the thing shut down. Now it won't even stay on.

Calling OneCall, right now......

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

sounds like either your receiver clipped and/or overheated. i take it that if you're running bare wire, nothing's touching.

4. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Well, that's what I would have thought too.

I do have bare wire connections on the back, and I already checked them.

I just got off the phone with OneCall, I have to pay shipping on the way back, but they will exchange.

5. Peter Fallon

Peter Fallon Extra

Plugging the TV into it's own outlet is a good start. A TV generally requires more power then the AVR 525's outlet is rated to provide.

6. altan

altan Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

What chapter/time in LOTR? Just wondering...

.... Altan

7. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Jason -

While the 525 was working, how did it sound for music vs other receivers you have had?

Thanks. (I don't think you should have to pay for return shipping on a new item. That bites.)

8. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

what size tv? tv's use a lot of juice. try resetting the processor before you ship it back. the back of the manual has the procedure, but you'll lose all your settings.

is the fan engaged during the shutdown? if not, that will rule out overheating

9. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

OK, I think I identified the problem.
    It's the Studio CC. When I disconnect it, everything stays on. And I can turn up the volume to max. As soon as I connect it, even if the volume is all the way down, it shuts down.
    There must be a problem with the center speaker. I thought that I noticed a very slight "pop" from the center earlier today while I was watching LOTR. It was very faint, but I know I heard it. I wonder if something broke? Maybe something in the crossover? The HK shouldn't over power the Studio CC. I know that distortion is usually what blows a speaker, but that wasn't the case.
    FWIW, the scene where it shut down was the scene where the good wizard (can't remember his name) went to see his mentor (who turned out to be a bad wizard) and as he was leaving the doors slammed shut. At the point where the doors slammed, that is where the receiver shut down. As said earlier, it was at volume -15db and I was wrong about the trims earlier. They were +3 for the mains and surrounds, +5 for the center.
    Joe,
    I like the HK for music. Actually that is one reason why I purchased this unit. I didn't get to listen before I bought, but with the OneCall deal at $667, I thought it was worth a shot. I would eventually like to have more power, though. I'm thinking of adding some Outlaw power[​IMG]
    Rick,
    It is a 32" Sony Wega. No the fan was not engaging during the shutdown. But I'm assuming that this would be normal, since something must be wrong with the center speaker. If something fried and shorted out, that would cause the receiver to shut down I would think. I brought up my old center channel, a Cambridge Soundworks CenterStage, and it plays fine. That's actually a good center speaker for the price. I turned up the volume pretty loud just now, about -2 or -3, and the reciever played fine.
    I guess I'll call the Paradigm dealer tomorrow to get a new Studio CC.

10. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Hi Jason,

Are you technically inclined? If so, do you have any way of measuring the impedance (at DC) of the speaker across it's terminals? If something is shorted out in the xover, then I reckon it'd be pretty cheap to fix. If it's a driver shot, that too wouldn't be too expensive (Although a blown driver wouldn't cause a short I would think)

If you are up to it, why not pop off the terminal cup at the back, and/or one of the woofers, and see if there's any damage noticeable. If you have the equipment, it'd be pretty easy to check each component out to see which is at fault.

Just a thought.

11. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I was pretty upset for a while, but I've calmed down a little now...

Jonathan,

I'm no techno wizard, but yes, I tried to measure the impedence with an ohm meter. However, my crappy multi meter seems to be malfunctioning. When I did test across the leads, I got a 0 ohm reading, a dead short right? But then for comparison, I checked all the other speakers and also got a 0 ohm reading. So I think there's something fishy with the meter. I double checked everything, made sure it was on the right scale and all, but still the same result.

The speaker isn't very old....less than 6 months. So it is still under warranty. My dealer usually has this in stock, so he'll probably just give me a new one while he sends this one back. I'll find out tomorrow.

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

My take on this is plain overheating. Make sure the receiver is well ventilated. Even with the TV plugged into the back of the 525 there is no reason for the TV to draw more current during loud scenes (TV is only a display device) and there is no reason for the TV to lower the current consumption when the volume was turned down to -20. Again I think its just heating. The fan is supposed to turn on during too much heat dissipation but if it didnt then maybe its broken (the fan that is). You may have to return and get a new unit.

Best of luck.