HK 525 owners please speak up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yury.A, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Yury.A

Yury.A Auditioning

Just noticed today that 6Avenue droppped their price to $633. Had been debating between the following: H/K 525, Denon 3803 (a bit high in my budget range), Marantz SR-7300, but was apprehensive to take the HK due to lower power ratings and poor reliability reports.

Also noticed that 6Avenue is no longer on the HK authorized retailers list, or were they ever? This seems to be a great deal? or is there another hidden reason for this 'clearance'?

Does anyone know of problems with the new cooling design/exhaust fan? Or should I just stay away from any receiver with a built-in fan?

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Yury,
    I just picked up this unit 2 weeks ago.... Went from a Denon 3801 to this... Thus far, this unit sounds great. I primarily went for this newer reciever for DPL2 and the fact that the HK has a flavor of Logic7. I am in love with L7 on my Lexicon MC1 [​IMG]
    The fan does come on occasionally, but is not an annoyance. This receiver also had never shut off, something I have read before on HK products..
    I would recommend this piece in a heartbeat... If you can swing by the Woodbridge store, see Richi Sladeck... Good friend of mine... Tell him Steve Simon (The Cigar Guy) sent you....

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

4. marc paolella

marc paolella Auditioning

I've had my H/K AVR525 for about a week. Of course it's too early to tell about reliability. However, the sound is great, with plenty of power to spare for a 300-400 sqft space. The remote is pretty cool with a built-in SPL function to help balance the 7 channels (not a meter, it just turns from yellow to green to red to indicate proper levels). The Logic 7 mode is nice. I've watched Lord of the Rings and Seven, both of which are in DTS 6.1 format. The precision of the soundfield is much better than my original Pro-Logic receiver. I'm very pleased so far, but the real test will come as time passes and the initial glow wears off. Then I'll do what any rational person should. Buy more gear!

-Marc

5. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

I've had the HK525 for a week now and will do a full review later once I have all my new gear installed as part of a full upgrade (first since I got out of college 15 years ago).

First impression: I am tickled pink. I am amazed at how good the 525 makes my old Cambridge Soundworks speakers (original Ensemble set) sound. I was all set to go with a Nad T752 or T762, but I preferred the HK in a head-to-head comparison. It hit the high notes better, while the Nad rolled them off too soon for my tastes. The difference in price sealed the deal.

As for the fan, I haven't heard it go on yet. It hasn't been an issue. By comparison, the Nad T752 is very loud, even when you just turn it on. Supposedly they fixed that problem.

6. Yury.A

Yury.A Auditioning

Steve and all,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I picked up the unit at Circuit City yesterday on my way to the Jets game. CC price matched the unit, minus an additional 10%. Both stores are local to me and CC is still an authorized dealer which was the deciding factor. $596 plus tax for a unit which all other authorized dealers are selling for $1K.
    Now I'm sure I'll have my own review in a week or two, or maybe only more questions. [​IMG]
    [rant]Gang Green 41, Ponies 0. Bring on 'em Raiders![/rant]

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    That price is unreal!!! Enjoy the unit!!!

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Yes, that price on the 525 is unreal. Plus, having the 30-day return option @ Circuit City is great with no restocking fees if you decide this is not the right item for you.

I should also point out that I used to dread shopping at Circuit City several years ago because of their commissioned sales people. Now, I really don't mind them and the attention I get when I walk into the door is welcomed. I'm really starting to dread shopping at Best Buy though. Their salespeople have about the poorest product knowledge that I've come across in a long time. However, the Best Buy salespeople are starting to get under my skin because they really try to push those silly extended warranties and replacement service plans.

I was actually so frustrated after leaving Best Buy yesterday, that I sent a "snail mail" letter to their corporation asking them to lay off on the extended warranty sales push. I told them that even though I still shop at Best Buy, it's usually the last store that I'll go to because I prefer the "no pressure" sales from their competition.

9. Joe Vidanes

Joe Vidanes Auditioning

I've had this unit for a month now and I am in absolute heaven. I matched this unit with Polk Audio 6700's and they seem to match great. I also bought from Circuit City (they also price matched Costco). Remember if one Circuit City says no, you can always go to another one. Anyway, the only thing I have to complain about is their manual! I still don't know how to set the crossovers and the EZ set properly!