HK 525 or Yam RX-V1400?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bertrand-R, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Bertrand-R

Bertrand-R Agent

The two are approx the same price, one is THX (Yam) the other not. I'm currently running a 11 years old RX-V850 and i like the sound of it but it's time to upgrade.
    I would appreciate input from some other people.

Thanks
    Bert

2. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Take it from a Denon man,the HK sounds great.I recently purchased a Yamaha for my bedroom,bad idea,tooo bright imo.Found the HK at the same price point,oustanding and lots more power than the Yamaha despite the 45x5 compared to Yamaha's 75x5.On a side note I like Denon but I was looking for a cheap avr and Denon's cheap sounds kinda cheap(I have a 3803 that I'm very happy with).You really should try to listen to both,at home to decide which sound you like best.

3. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

The 1400 is an excellent receiver. It is a much better receiver with a much better sound than the Yamaha Curtis is talking about (Not trying to disrespect, I read your other post Curtis, I think it was a 5550 you had tried). Bertrand , your still using an 11 year old Yamaha which tells me you have been really happy with it. Give the 1400 a shot, worst case you take it back for a different receiver.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Before I made my decision to buy my HK I looked around at all recievers, not the exact model you are looking at but I looked at one close.. the 1300 I believe or something like that. I thought it was too bright, and in terms of power it definantly lacked.. not to mention the front of it was ugly especially paying that kind of money.

My HK AVR-225 is an excellent piece. It looks nice, has good features, nice power, and it is a much more neutral sound so it just reproduces the sound the way it should be. I like Yamaha too in the beginning, then I looked around. [​IMG]

5. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I did not find the Yamaha 1400 bright when I auditioned it. I think a lot of the brightness has been planted into people's heads. Maybe years ago their equipement was 'bright', but I did not hear it in the new lineup.

FYI: I do not own any Yamaha gear, so I am not just supporting what I own.

6. Bertrand-R

Bertrand-R Agent

Do you think i should buy the Canadian model (Yam RX-V1400)with DPL IIx
    or buy in the US the same model but with only DPL II.
    I am Canadian and if i buy in the US i can save up to 560$ Can.
    What do you think?
    Bert

7. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

Bertrand,

That is a lot of money to save. I would go for the savings and use the rest towards something else you might need. Maybe step into the 2400 US model with the extra saved vs. the canadian model.

8. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"I did not find the Yamaha 1400 bright when I auditioned it. I think a lot of the brightness has been planted into people's heads..."

Can't comment about this years line-up, but up until last year, their equipment seemed overly bright to me. Some people prefer a brighter sound. They find anything else too compressed. I know someone who has sold audio equipment for 30 years and has always preferred Yamaha over other manufacturers. He admits it's bright, but that is his preference.

If Bertrand-R liked his old Yamaha, he may like the newer models just as much. It's a matter of personal preference.

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer