HK 525 or Sony STR DA4ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_PxR, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Jeff_PxR

Jeff_PxR Stunt Coordinator

Basic question. 1/2 music 1/2 home theater. Rocket speaker 5.1 setup with DVS sub. I am about to buy--which is better or are they equal?? Thanks!

2. Jeff_PxR

I see too that the Sony lists itself as 100 watts per channel whil eht HK 525 lists itself as 80. WHat is with that? I hear so much about these numbers being difficult to believe. Which is the better receiver in this case?

3. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Jeff,

Sony overates it's receivers. HK meets their specs or exceeds them.

Some people will tell you to get the Sony. They feel they are more reliable and built better. They also have a longer warranty.

Some people will tell you to get the HK. They are more powerful, and sound better for music. They have more features and are capable of more things.

The best idea is to listen to both, then decide based on what you hear or what is most important to you.

Doug

4. Jeff_PxR

Does Denon overrate its power too? For example, the 3803?

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    yes they do. this link has more info on the particular models, though it is a little outdated. HK is one of the few brands that actually underrates its amp sections. i have the HK '520 and love it. tons of power.

my suggestion is to get the 525. you will not be disappointed.

ps- how much is your budget? if you can maybe coach it up to $1200, it'd be worth it to get the HK '8000, which is one of the better sub-$2000 receivers around. OneCall and J&R have them at liquidation prices (MSRP was around $2500 i believe), and it's a helluva deal right now!

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Jeff:

When I bought my 4ES I had narrowed it down to that and the 520, and I chose the 4ES for several reasons, including the 5-year warranty and more EQ flexibility. In terms of sound, the 4ES was right there, and I didn't notice a huge difference. If anything, the 4ES was superior for 5.1 theater applications (not running 7.1 yet).

Plus, I got a sweet deal on the 4ES, and picked up a 300-DVD changer with what I saved.

--AM

7. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I went the DA4ES myself and the amp power was not an issue with me as I am using it as a prepro. The 4ES gives a perfect balance for HT and music and I have been able to assign different EQ settings for HT and music.
    As Angelo said, the 4ES offers tremendous customization including variable crossover settings, etc. which results in dynamic HT and music performance.

8. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Power between the two units should not be a major concern. The 525 should put out around 75-90 with all channels driven(the older 520 put out around 80x5) and if I read correctly, somebody on these boards posted that the European tests of the 333es (same as 4es) put out 90 x 7 all channels driven 20-20khz. Don't sweat a 10-20 watts difference. Both units are great, if I had to choose I'd go with the 4es, but I'm going to a local dealer in the coming weeks to demo the 525, 4es, pioneer 43/45tx, and Yamaha 1300/5590, just to make sure I like the 4es the most. You should try to demo these units yourself to see which you prefer.

-Brian

9. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

The SONY DA4ES is an awesome receiver and for the price its very hard to beat, been using mine for 6 months and would buy it again over a lot of what's out there today.

Alex

10. Doug Brewster

Jeff_PxR,

Now that others have had their say, listen to both. My guess is you'll find the HK superior for music, but it depends on what you like. HK tends to have a rich, warm color (which is what many people like when listening to music). The 525 is no exception. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Sony does a better job of home theater. Since your stated intent was 50/50, you might find the HK's strengths in music to be the tie-breaker.

Again - listen to both and see what YOU prefer. Both are good units.

Doug

11. I would also say listen to both. I picked up the DA4ES mainly because of the price I got from an authorized dealer which was ways below what I could get the H/K from an authorized dealer. I also liked the built in 3 band EQ on the Sony and the longer waranty. The sound depends on what you like. The Sony seems a bit on the bright side and the H/K is definately warm.

12. Oakley

Oakley Auditioning

I can't speak about the Sony, but I can speak about the 525. I own the 525 and could not be happier with my purchase. I tried the Onkyo tx-sr 800 and the Yamaha rx-v 1300, to me neither sounded as warm, crisp and clear as the H/K. I'm sure the Sony is a very nice receiver, and I agree with the others that said to listen to them both, and you make the choice that sounds better to you.

[​IMG]

13. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

I have listened to both of those receivers including the DA5es. In my opinion, the DA5es sounded the best, then the DA4es...followed by the HK 525. I just purchased the 5es few days ago... and I am loving it bigtime. So I guess the 4es would be a good decision.

14. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

15. Doug Brewster

Or you might not wear a tie and not need to break it...

16. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I see it often that people say the Sony sounds bright. I always find the "live" band/orchestra sound bright too. I wonder if "warm" implies artificial, but if you like it, so be it. My only complain about my 4ES is that it has a slighly noisy transformer. You can hear the slight hum if your room is dead quiet and you stay within two to three feet from it. It does not hum as loud as my Sony XBR 36" TV though. The 5ES is supposed to have a higher quality transformer but if you stick your ear to the chassis you would probably hear a quiet hum as well. I believe the HT receivers (at least the big ones) uses toroidal transformers. They may not hum as loud, but I read that they are quite sensitive to "power quality".

17. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

I aint got no humm on the 4es I have????

Warm, Cold...I would want it to sound neutral....

This thing about one sounding better in HT vs 2ch, man what poppy cock!! This one really makes me do a double take!

There is nothing worng with either of these receivers, its just one is 'better' looking than the other!! (smile!)...wonder which one??

Gud Luck!
    A.

18. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

I've bought the 4es 2 month ago, I never would have thought i would ever have bought a sony. But here i am, it is a great unit, i listened to about 7 or 8 different ones denon, yamaha, marantz and Hk, but i chose the sony more options for ht modes.
    they were all good but after 2 weeks of research, happy shoppin

19. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I ain't got no hum either on my 4es.

Aaron

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

Hum, What Hum? I have done everything possible to see if I can hear a hum on my DA5es, but could not hear any hum. My HT setup room is quite silent and I turned the volume all the way to MAX or 0db. I use a coax cable, but I could not hear a hum. I placed my ears right at the speakers/sub, and could not hear a hum. I placed my ears right on top of the amp, too, and could not hear any hum. What I have noticed, was when the selector was at the cassette setting to play a tape, I can bare hear a slight grumble. However, this is normal and you cannot find any amplifer without this. Its basically, the tape deck that make the sound. So, you fellas with a hum, need to check your cabling/speakers and interconnects. Never compare the 4es to the 5es. The 4es is good, but the 5es is superior in more ways than one. This I have seen and heard myself.

A really happy 5es owner.