HK 525 or Denon 2803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nathan-C, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Nathan-C

Nathan-C Extra

I need some advice. I am looking to upgrade my Receiver (Kenwood VR-6070). I am currently considering the HK 525 vs. the Denon 2803. I want a receiver with more Digital inputs and HD component inputs. My kenwood just can't handle all that I want to do. (Xbox and PS2 in progressive scan, DVD, Directv w/ tivo and I am out of digital inputs). I currently have 6.1 setup and it would be no problem jumping to 7.1. Or would you recommend keeping the 6.1 setup and running a mono speaker to another room or outside (if that is even possible). I currently have Onkyo SKS-HT500 6.1 speaker kit (I know I should upgrade my speakers soon as well). Also I know the HK 525's HD component rating is 50 and the 2803's is 100. Does the extra 50 really make a difference or would 50 be more than enough. Also if there is another receiver in the same price range with similar specs, please let me know. Sorry for the long post, brand new to this forum. Thanks in advance.

2. RandallC

RandallC Auditioning

My personal bias would be for the HK525 (since I own the 520). My 520 is a wonderful sounding machine, very transparent to me and capable of really pushing current.

As for the HD component bandwidth issue, it's probably best to use the 3x rule.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would go for the 525 without a doubt. It is a wonderful piece.