HK 525 NEED CrossOver Tweaking help!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kiet, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I have recently bought the HK 525. It sounded great, the sound was crisp and clean. However, it seems lack of bass for some reason comparing to my old Yamaha Receiver. The bass sounds fine in music but it lacks in movie. I am sure it is the setting of the receiver. Because I am very confident that the bass will sound better when I get it right. I looked in the manual about the speaker settings. I set all my speakers to Large and the Sub to (LFE). Also I don't know what to do with the Sub Cross over.
    My Setup is : Front: Boston Accoustics (170 W) (44 - 20000)
    Centre: JMLab LCR 700 (125 W) (53 - 22000)
    Rear: JMLab SR 700 (75 W) (69 - 22000)
    Sub: Yamaha SW80 (80 W) (Thinking of changing)

Can someone suggest me a setting for speaker and crossover that is both good for musics and movies.

Thanks.

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Kiet,

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

My suggestion would be to set all speakers to small and Subwoofer to SUB. I would also use an 80hz crossover with all speakers.

Also, unlike Yamaha receivers, on your HK you have to calibrate for each individual surround mode(DPL-II, DTS-Neo6, Logic-7, Stereo, 5ch Stereo, DD, and DTS).

4. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys,
    I will change the setting and see how it sounds. if I am thinking of buying a new sub. How many watts you think will be good for handling all those frequencies coming from all the other channels. Plus what brand of subwoofer is good for the HK receiver. Can you recommend any for under $700.

thanks

5. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

6. Frank Carter

Don't get too caught up in one single spec like wattage. There are many low power subs that can whoop some high powered subs, it all depends on enclosure size(bigger the better) and if any eq is used to maintain a flat response(no eq is best).

7. Andy_Steb

Andy_Steb Stunt Coordinator

Try these settings also. Front large, center and rear small
    Subwoofer Sub L/R + LFE
    center rear and sub 80Hz
    Everyone on this forum will suggest a SVS.I followed the suggestions and couldn't be happier. I would go with a 20-39 pci+ for $825. A little over your budget but you won't be complaining about not having enough base.

8. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

sorry guys,
    I forgot to tell you that I am living in Australia. So I cannot get hole of the SVS or HSU. However, I can get hold of most of the other big names. Eg. Cerwin Vega, Velodyne, B&W, JBL, LM LAB etc.
    I guess the pricing for the subwoofer wouldn't be too much off between Aus, and USA.
    Anyway, yesterday a salesman offer me a JMLab Sub (SW800) for about U.S. $700. Is that good or should I stick with the USA brand which usually have tighter bass. By the way, this is for a H/K 525 Receiver.

Thanks

9. Frank Carter

Will the Velodyne CHT15 come within that budget? If so, that would be my choice.

10. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

I just listened to the Velodyne Sub CHT12 today. It sounded quite good for music and movie. Then the salesman showed me the B&W 675 sub. I was hooked, it sounded so great and accurate in such a small box. It makes the CHT 12 looks really bad in comparison , but it costs nearly double the price.
    However, my question is that has anyone listened to the JMlab SW800 Sub, because I can get that cheaper than both of them, but they don't have any in stock here so I have to order it without having an audition. Just hoping someone can give me an idea of what it sounds like comparing to the B&W and velodyne.

Thanks

11. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

I believe SVS can pretty much ship anywhere. I believe they shipped an SVS to Australia before. You can't lose with the SVS. Give them a call or send them an e-mail.

12. Kiet

Kiet Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Just sent Ron a few emails about the SVS Subwoofer. It seems like that the shipping for the sub is quite high. (Nearly half the price of the sub). Also I have to pay a lot of custom tax. So a PCI sub (20 - 39 ) will cost me well over US$1200. Do you think it is still worth it. I can get a JMLab SW900 for only about US$900 which I see retail in US for almost (US$2500). But I don't know how it is, comparing with the SVS.

13. Wendell

Wendell Stunt Coordinator

Kiet,
    I think if you plan to go SVS you can't lose. although shipping is a little pricey.

My other suggesting is going the DIY route, I have 214L Adire Alignment with a 15" inch Tempest and I just love it. Actually, my brother has the 20-39pc+ and I prefer the bass on my DIY sub alot better. The bass is abit tighter on music than the SVS and my Tempest doesn't bottom out. I probably would have gone the SVS route also because their subs are great but at the time I just didn't have the funds for it. And the best part I only spent $350 for all the materials to build it and shipping for the Tempest and plate amp probably wouldn't be as pricey as the SVS. If you do go the SVS route I suggest you go with something a bit higher in their line, at least a pb2-plus or ultra even maybe a B-4plus. That way if you get bass hungry and want to upgrade you won't have to order another from SVS. I myself am wanting a pb2-ultra or a B-4 as I'm pretty sure it will blow my DIY Tempest away with no problems.

H/K 525
    Axiom m40
    Axiom VP150
    Axiom qs4
    upgraded crossover with soniccaps!
    DIY Tempest