What's new

HK 525 Internal Pink Noise (1 Viewer)

Bryan_Tams

Agent
I purchased a RS Sound Meter and will calibrate my speakers again - but I do not own VE or Avia yet. Is the pink noise from the HK appropriate to use for reference setting. Does any know what to set the SPL on? I have heard that you use 80 for Avia and 70 for VE? Any help? Thanks.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I believe the internal test tones in most HK receivers are set for about 30 steps below the maximum level of 105db at peak. I'm not sure of this but I think it's correct- someone out there must know for sure. Now this is what I would do without a calibration disk: First, if you have it, use the internal test tones and the Ez set on your HK remote by setting the volume on your receiver to -15 and using the tones and remote to calibrate. Use the meter to check to see if each speakers reads the same output from the primary listening position. The meter should read around the 70-75dB mark. Now use the individual speaker tones to set all speakers to let's say 75dB. Use the adjusment feature to make sure that each speaker gives the same output- use the speaker adjustment to raise or lower the level till it reads the same as the front left speaker. Do this for all the speakers. You won't be able to set up the sub this way for the receiver will not provide a sub tone. Calibrating this way to 75db should put you real close to ref and the -15 on your volume knob will be your new near ref mark. By the way- the S&V home tune up disk is much less expensive and does a fine job at calibration, including setting up the sub. This may not be exact, but this is how I did it before having my spl meter (I actually I used 70dB when I did it- that was sure loud enough). Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks