What's new

HK 525 Broke, Replacement HK 430 ? (1 Viewer)

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I think you did the right thing in the end but accepting OneCall's offer (which seemed fairly reasonable IMHO). I probably would have jumped on it were I in your shoes.

On the flipside, I know how frustrating the whole ordeal must have been. And shelling out more bucks than anticipated (whether it be $10 or $100) is never a fun thing.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
First off, I think the biggest rip off you encountered was purchasing an H/K in the first place. I would take a credit, and get something else. you will have the same problem in less than a year anyways....up in smoke and fizzled!

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Can you get your money back, and go with a Denon reciever?? The one thing that really pissed me of about the HK's were that loud fan that comes on all the time...

I went from the HK525, to the Denon 3803, and couldn't be happier!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Greg is right, the 630 does not have a fan. Not sure about the 430. I was considering waiting for the 630 about six months ago. But, I decided to go with the 525 instead. I have no regrets. The audio performance is outstanding!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
If it had a fan you'd likely be able to see it from the rear. As in my 525. I thought I remembered reading several people post that it didn't have one when the unit was newly released. I'd be willing to bet a whole "quarter" that the 630 does not have one. Maybe another 630 could chime in a settle this.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
My 525 had a fan alright!! I had the reciever in a well ventilated area, and it still popped on every 10-15 minutes or so... very annoying!!

Hence Denon 3803 is in the house... :D

Shiu

Second Unit

Because you are right, it has a fan! That's why the only HK receiver I would consider is the AVR7200.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator
My 630 gets really hot on top. Isn't a fan a good thing?
I've never heard it come on yet.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Man, I have to say that these HKs are really designed poorly. The Denons and Onkyos that I have owned or listened to extensivily stay very cool with no fan. Hell, Voodoo PC has a big gaming desktop that doesn't have any fans.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Yes, and the comment that was made earlier about it getting very hot, reinforces my thoughts on the product. All my gear, I can crank the living bejesus out of it. and it get no where near hot. when electronics gets hot, it means it's doing something it's not suppose to. in the case of H/K units, putting out hi current power, fries the receiver. heat is bad for electronics. that comment just shows that H/K recivers are time bomb ticking to go off!....get something else bud!....and the fact they are not putting fans in their receivers now. what are they thinking?:frowning:

Shiu

Second Unit
I prefer large high quality heat sinks to a fan, but it is more cost effective to use a fan for cooling. It allows the use of less efficient heat sinks that cost less. Fans also get less efficient when it gets old, and accumulate dust. It can also get noisy.

How hot your receiver gets obviously depends on how loud you play your music and the temperature setpoint for the fan to come on. I am sure HK receivers use high quality fans that are much quieter than those found in personal computers, but they are not completely silent.

Users who are viewing this thread