What's new

HK 525 Broke, Replacement HK 430 ? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_C

Auditioning
My new HK 525 sparked and smoked. It's totally toast! :frowning:

Anyway, one call will replace it with a 430 if I wish. They don't have any other 525s in stock. I'm torn, the 430 is a lower rated unit (power wise). Should I go with it as a replacement? Should I get something else? Any ideas appreciated!

BTW I have Axiom VP150, M22tis, and QS8s in a medium sized room.

GregorySB

Grip
Try to get them to give you a 630 instead of a 430. The 430 has less power and lacks bass management on the analog 7.1 input.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Yes, the replacement for the 525 should be the 630 since the 530 doesn't exist. They're trying to rip you off with the 430!

Patrick_C

Auditioning
Well, they wouldn't let me have the 630. I have to pay half of the difference (of their cost).

It will cost me $50 more to get the 630. Also, it's not a new unit. It's an open box.

I took it since I need a new unit pretty badly right now.

AndrewKC

Agent
Can you get your unit repaired or replaced directly from HK? I don't think I would want to go from a 525 to a 430, and to pay 50 bucks to get a used 630 seems like a bad deal too.

Patrick_C

Auditioning
I was under the impression that since it was less than 15 days since I had the unit, I had to call OneCall about it. I already made the arrangements, but I still don't feel entirely comfortable about it.

What happened at first was they offered me a 430. I told them no, I'd like a refund. I called back later, saying why don't you give me the 630 since it's more comparable to the 525. OneCall said ok, I'll change your order. They were going to charge me the difference in full! I said no, for the same price. He said that wasn't possible because it's an upgraded unit.

I said ok, the price difference on your site from the 430 to the 630 is around $80. If you charge me $40 (half the difference) will you give me a 630. They said it's at least $54 or some such to their cost for half the difference. He said if I take an open box, I don't have to pay a cent. I said sure. He called back later and said he misunderstood his manager. I have to pay $54 to get the open box 630 to replace my 535. They said I could only otherwise get a credit.

I guess because it never worked right in the first 15 days, I have to go back to them to get it fixed.

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand why you have to go back to onecall to deal with it. H/K should repair or replace your receiver with another 525. Call their customer service and see what is up. Odd that onecall is being this weird. Maybe you can try and call back and get a different person, isn't onecall the place that was giving people 3803's for the price of 3802's simply because they weren't in stock?

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think there ripping you off. the 525 is in closeout phase, and the 630 is a brand new model. I thinnk that only harman kardon the company would give you a newer unit for free. The 630 is a slight upgrade and has more features too, and looks so much better. I would pay 50 just for the better looks. (BTW i own a 525)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I think what they are asking you in terms of upgrade money seems pretty reasonable and you should take it. Don't bother about getting into dealing with HK directly as I feel the 630 is a better unit than the 525. Of course IMHO! :D

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"I feel the 630 is a better unit than the 525"

No doubt, however, they are offering an "open box" unit. If that means used, I can see why Patrick_C would be reluctant and would expect a better deal.

I still say, call HK directly (before making any final decision). What could possibly be wrong with that? The worst that could happen would be for HK to not be willing to do anything and then he'd still have the One Call deal.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Thinking about it now, it might be worth paying the extra 54.00 for the 630. The one feature that got me is the MP3 decoder on board. To help you make the decision, go to Harman Kardon's website and download the manual for the 630 and see the features as well as operation instructions and even compare it to the 525. Definetly a worth while purchase. Open box only is not really a big deal as long as you have everything in it. The operations manual tells you everything that it comes with.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
just to add the msrp of the 630 is 300 more than the msrp for the 525. street the prices are not even close. I remeber they were selling the 525 for $600 and under. I got mine for 550 new from local authorized. The lowest price i see for the 630 is 800 many etailers selling at 1000. In fact onecall 's prices the 630 is $400 more vs the 525.
some upgrades from the 525
DTS 96/24 (like your ever going to need this)
Dolby headphone processing
AV/sync delay
2 line lcd remote
Dolby virtual speaker surround mode
quadrupal xover
duel core proccesors with 32 bit post chip
new chasis with blue led vol control

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I would call back and see if for $80 they will do a new 630. I think thats worth it.

BTW This is why I never ever buy online!

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
As a new 525 owner (6 mos), I didn't care much for the new look. But, I have to agree with Jesse and the others. Pay the difference for the open box 630 or a new one. I've bought over a dozen pieces of equipment from One Call, including my 525. I don't think they are trying to rip you off.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If it were me, I'd return the avr, take the credit, have my credit card company reverse the charges, and take my businesss elsewhere. Though you may lose some money, I don't believe they deserve it and should be treated accordingly.

Patrick_C

Auditioning
Thank you everyone for your input.

On the 630, I was going by onecall's price now. I was showing their price difference between the 430 and the 630 so I could compare the models.

I didn't ask for the 525 to blow up on me. So, I felt a replacement was in order. By going with the 430, I think they were cheating me. I felt the fair thing to do would be to give me the better unit. I did end up paying the extra $50 some odd dollars. The open box model I received is very nice considering it's open box. It was returned because the person who purchased it wanted to upgrade to the 7200.

Truth be told, my girlfriend thinks the new unit is really ugly. It sounds good, so I'm fairly happy. I never got to work the 525 so I don't know how it would have been in contrast. The remote doesn't read my Dish Nework receiver, so it's nice but not much improved.

I felt apprehensive about calling HK directly. Mostly because when Onecall shipped me the unit, they said NOT to contact them, to only contact them for 15 days after it arrived.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
-Robert_Gaither
Why would you get a credit refund then request the CC company to do a chargback again? thats not very good advice, thats just wrong and Patrick will get in troble with onecall and his CC company.

WendyS

Stunt Coordinator

OMG!!!!!! One of the reasons I purchased the 630 is because of the looks. The first time I saw the new models I was in total awe!!
SEXY!!!
I looked at Yamaha and Denon........black, yellow display.......boring!!!!
Funny, I had 4 girlfriends over the other night, and none of them were impressed with the looks. The design doesn't appeal to my hubby either.
I think it's hot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks