HK 520 users, anyone bi-amping ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMark, Feb 27, 2003.

1. JohnMark

JohnMark Agent

I am about to change over some equipment and was just wondering about feedback in general about the AVR520 receiver. It seems to have great features and more than reasonable price.

I listen about 50/50 music and HT.

Do the internal DACs do a good job with the digital signal from a CD/DVD player for stereo mode?
    My current CD/DVD player is a middle of the road Onkyo player of about 3 years vintage. It doesn't have DVD audio outs and I am not sure about HDCD compatibility.
    Is there any way to bypass the DACs in the AVR520 if I want to listen to the analog signal from the CD player?

I am also planning to bi-amp my fronts and center speakers using the AVR520 and an external muli channel amp. The 520 has preamp outs/main in loops for all channels.
    I will probably buy a 3 channel xover from Marchand.

2. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

John- If you already own the amps, try it. I also considered bi-amping a few years ago becuase I do own the amps. However, in reading the forums, opinions seem to range from "great" to "minimal" to "zero" improvement. If you haven't bought your amps yet, consider a more powerful amp as maybe a better option. Anyway you go, best of luck and if you do bi-amp, let us know your results. Jack

3. JohnMark

JohnMark Agent

I own both a 5 channel Newcastle amp and a 4 channel Adcom, so I am only looking at the cost of the xover. Beyond the potential return in dynamics and reduced distortion of the receivers amp section, actively bi-amping will eliminate one piece of the passive crossover in my 3 way home built speaker system. Passive xovers in the 300HZ range can be expensive and hard to implement to higher orders.
    I was passively bi-amping my previous system and did not think it added much at normal volumes. But it did help when I cranked it up.

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

John- Your hands on experience would supercede any opinion I may have. I have a question though, if your going to use an active crossover, wouldn't this accomplish the same thing as bi-amping? I see you have the amps and understand that you would like to make use of all your equipment. I have never used crossovers or bi-amped, so my assumptions may be wrong. If you've had success in the past, no reason to beleive that what you want to do wouldn't be of benifit.

5. JohnMark

JohnMark Agent

I'm not the real expert on bi-amping. But I know a little.
    There are 2 different ways to biamp (at least).
    One is to use the passive crossover in your stock speaker system if it has provisions for bi-amp/bi-wire and to feed the upper frequency (tweeter section) from one amp and the lower frequency (woofer section) using a second amp. You can do this with a simple Y patch cord. This is passive bi-amping because you are still counting on the passive crossover components in your speaker (capacitors, inductors and resistors) to filter out the high and low frequencies.

The second and best way is to eliminate the passsive crossover components in the spaeaker system altogeather (this is where you will have to modify a stock speaker system or roll your own). Instead, use an active crossover at preamp level and split the high and low signals to different power amps. A receiver that has preamp out/power amp in loop is a real advantage, unless you are already using a dedicated preamp/processor.

There are many benefits to bi-amping and many articles can be found on the WWW. Cost is the only limiting factor.

6. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

When you consider that the crossover contributes to the "sound" of a speaker system, I would not attempt to bi-amp a system that was not designed for it.