HK 520 to Rotel upgrade ?'s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Greg Kolinski, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Oct 13, 2002
    I am currently running an HK 520 with a Rotel 1070 130w
    amp for the front channels.I am thinking about upgrading to a Rotel 1050 reciever/1070 amp,or the 1066/1075 pre pro combo.Has anyone gone this route?And will the performance difference be worth the $1200/2500 cost??I listen to about 60/40 HT to music.Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Nov 21, 2001
    You'll likely get answers going either way, so this is only what I'd do if I was in your situation.

Personally, I went from a receiver to adding a power amp, then onto buying the 1066. I don't regret it for a minute, especially the great two channel sound I get with the Rotel.

Many don't notice a significant difference at all using the Rotel 1055, as opposed to the 1066, with regard to the pre-pro abilities and sound. The advantage here is that it has a cheaper msrp, has a tuner, and has amps that are partially assignable (the fronts can be directed to the rears) if you're using 6.1 or 7.1. You'd also, if you chose to, be able to biamp.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall when you originally bought the HK. Didn't you also buy Polk LSi speakers? I'm just trying to remember because I'm attempting to picture your system. I went from an Onkyo receiver, which, imo, isn't as good as your HK. Are you unhappy with your current system or are you searching for that little bit extra that will make it even more amazing?

Really, if you can swing it, try to audition one of the Rotels. That's the only real way you can decide if it's worth the extra money.

And, by all means, come on over to Club Rotel to inquire further. Quite likely, there are owners of your speakers and/or current or former owners of HK that could answer your question more specifically. Besides, it's a very friendly place to visit.