HK 520 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Sep 20, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I have a question about the bass management on the 520. I want to set the mains, surrounds, and rear centers to large and cross them at 60hz. I then want to set the center t small. Where is the center channel crossed over? At 60 also? or can yu set it to 80 or 100hz?

I read the online manual and it is alittle unclear about certai things.

Can you set your speakers to large/small for each mode(DD,DTS Logic 7, stereo)? Or is it universal?

Can you have seperate calibration levels for each source or mode?

Thanks

Earle

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Off the top of my head im not really sure about the answer to your first question.

If i remember correctly, you can set individual channel levels and speaker configurations by source AND mode. For example, you can have the front speakers set to large in DPLII and small in Logic7 on the CD input, and then have them both set to small on the DVD input, and it will remember everything.

3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Chriss,

Sweet, makes what happened to me even more of a bummer. I just bought a 520 from CC to demo it and the menus are very deep, the problem I had is the the OSD kept on disapearing while I was activley navagating it. This is not the time out feature, that works fine. Imagine that you going thru your speaker set and suddenly it is just gone. It comes back sometimes other times it times out and then you have to start over. Im gonna replace it today with another and check it out.
    Must be a bad solder or something internally.

I love the idea that I can have my mains and rears set to large with a xover of 60hz and the center to 80hx(maybe)

Then if you think L7 needs for bass on the CD input, go ahead and bump it up, too much on DTS neo on the Cd input, no prob just turn it down.

This reciever may have the best BM out there.

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Ok I jsut got off the phone with HK and they told me that if you set all speakers to large except the center, the large speakers xover will be either 40 or 60hz. The small speakers will be crossed at 100hz.

I also confirmed that each source can have indpendant Large small setting, and each mode in each source can have indpendant level calibrations. That is cool, most preamps costing 2000 dont offer this kind of flexability.

Earle

5. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

Earle:

I agree about the flexibility. That is what drew me to the HK as a pre/amp. I have my speaker size and sub settings configured different for DVD movies, DPL TV shows, 2 channel stereo.. etc...

The Logic 7 processing is the real "deal maker" if you ask me.

Phil