HK 520 Question on 6/7.1 use.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

I am trying to determine what the HK 520 AVR capabilities are as far as 6/7.1 sound goes. From what I can tell, the rear back speaker would only be used for DTS 6.1 material and 7 speaker stereo mode. Can that rear speaker be used for any DD formatted movies or anything else? Thanks.

2. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

The only material that uses those channels is 7-channel stereo, Logic7, and DTS/Neo6. One thing to note is that all DTS-encoded material will use the surround back speaker(s), not just DTS-ES. Some material, like the LOTR:EE and Blade II DVDs, have sound specifically encoded for the surround rear(s), aka DTS-ES Discrete. Others, like Terminator 2:UE have sound matrixed into the surround rear channel--but not specifically directed to it--aka DTS-ES Matrix. Any other DTS non-ES material will matrix the sound from the rears into the surround rears. It all sounds good. One caveat is that the rear speakers require a separate amp or receiver, because the signals from the 520 are preamp.
    The new HK 525 adds, among other things, amplified rear channels and Dolby Digital Surround EX, which is basically equivalent to DTS-ES Matrix, i.e. sound is matrixed for the rear speaker . There are other threads that explain this better than I can, but there is a difference between Discrete (DTS-ES) and Matrix (DTS-ES and DD Surround EX) 6/7.1 which is easily discernable.