What's new

HK 520 problem? (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I have a Harmon Kardon 520 reciever and I use either Logic 7 or Pro Logic II when I am watching regular TV. When using either, my surround speakers seem to be working fine, you can hear them, but they are low, and every once in awhile the surrounds will get louder and stay louder. I hate to say they are cutting in and out cause they are always working, its just sometimes it cuts in stronger than usual. Is this common or should I get it checked out? Its still under warranty till October and I ordered from J&R. Would I have to send this away or does anyone know of a service department in Tampa, FL?

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
DavidAM,

First, I'd do a simple test:

Record a program that does this "up and down" thing as you are watching it. Listen to it during play back to see if the problem is still there and still at the same points in the program. It may just be the broadcast - and since you seem to notice it when watching TV, this is the most likely cause.

Second, I'd call Harman Kardon service department and tell them what is going on. They may have an explanation or a fix.

Doug

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
David,

I have an HK520 and it does the same thing. This is a common bug, not sure what causes it. What happens is every once in a while, the receiver will set all the speakers to output at the same levels, regardless of your settings or volume of program. So the rears, fronts, and center are all of the same volume, which means that the front and especially rear speakers sound much louder. Permanent fix I don't know about, but you can toggle either the processing (ie - logic 7 to 6.1 and back) or the input (ie - video 1 to dvd and back) and the receiver will reset itself correctly.

This problem always seems to manifest itself with logic 7 from a 2 channel source, it might be a bug in the programming. If you get a fix though, please post it here.

DavidAM

Second Unit
Ok, thanks for the reply's. Its hard to record it cause its very random and doesn't happen everyday. Next time it happens I'll switch the inputs and see if it corrects the problem....haven't tried that before.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Joe,

I, too, have a 520. I'm not sure what your saying about toggling. Are you talking about just hitting the keys (i.e. changing from Logic7 to DTS Neo) or are you talking about entering the OSD and changing the setup in there?

Doug

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Doug,

I mean just switching inputs or modes with the remote so the logic 7 circuit 'resets' itself. It always fixes the problem (temporarily) for me. No OSD, just a few button pushes on the remote.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Yep, it is a well-known bug to everyone except H/K who claim to have never heard of it. Another one is where the unit finds it hard to read info from the main remote.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks