HK 520 owners - hows your remote?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Molnar, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Thomas Molnar

Does it respond slowly? Do you find yourself having to press a button a couple of times to change a setting?

2. brian reis

brian reis Extra

Nope. Mine is just bad to respond when I'm trying to go "up, down, left, right" for DVD menus. That is the black plastic button in the middle.

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

the backlight on mine just decided to quit working one day. I got it replaced and now the backlight on this one is starting to flicker. I think it feels cheap and the button lay out is messed up. But its not all that bad and its better than navigating through 8 remotes!

4. Keith AD

Keith AD Auditioning

I have an AVR-320 with the same issues. After awhile the receiver stops responding to the remote and takes many pushes to get a response to a command (except the volume control which always responds). I contacted HK customer service and they sent me a new remote. Same problem. Even my MX-500 remote behaves the same way. Therefore, it's not the remote that's the problem, it has to be the sensor on the receiver itself. It works fine from a cold start, but after watching a DVD, the response becomes sluggish at best. Anyone else have this happen and is there a fix?

5. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

Keith -

Did you remove the protective film over the faceplate? Your receiver comes from the factory with a layer of protective film over the receiver's faceplate. The manual states that if you don't remove it, your remote won't work as well. Just a suggestion, although I doubt that this is the problem.

6. Keith AD

Keith AD Auditioning

Yes, I removed the plastic film. I have even cleaned the surface covering the remote. When the receiver stops responding to a remote, it doesn't matter how cloe I have the remote to the reciever.

7. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Sometimes the remote isn't as responsive as I'd like it to be. At times I have to press a button a couple of times to get it to register, especially the SET button.
    I think part (maybe most) of the blame is the receiver's. Here's why I say that: I have a universal remote (Sima SUR20) but for some reason I can't get it to switch the inputs (AVR, DVD, VID1, etc.) and though it CAN control the volume, sometimes it stops working. So sometimes I can get my universal to work the volume, other times, NOTHING! Then I have to use the h/k remote and it'll respond to it immediately. So I have to keep the 520's remote handy and that sucks! Kinda defeats the purpose of having a universal.
    I feel much better now... :b Thanks for listening[​IMG]

8. Lee Shankman

Lee Shankman Extra

I use a MX-500 Home Theater Master remote with my HK 520, and it only works well immediately after turning the 520 on. Otherwise, it takes 15+ presses to make ANYTHING happen, and usually I'm lucky to get it to work at all. However, if I grab the original HK remote, it almost always works well. This makes me wonder if my MX-500 is the culprit, but it works beautifully with every other component I have. This is one of my complaints about my 520.

9. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

For all the cutting edge tech on my 520, I have a theory...
    The brains work on the receiver, the apprentices designed the remote and manual.
    The sensitivity on the remote is "not great"
    And for what reason would you want to have to press another button to activate the volume control??? The default on the volume should be to the AVR button.
    So, H/K, if you're listening... out of 5 [​IMG]'s
    AVR 520 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2
    Manual [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Remote [​IMG]

10. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Prior to owning the 520, I had used a Denon remote for my receiver and a Toshiba remote for my DVD. I have no complaints re: the H/K remote. The other two are far worse and am pleased with the features, layout, programability, and function of the HK.