HK 520 or 325?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SeanDM, Dec 21, 2002.

1. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I'm getting ready to purchase a new receiver and both the 520 and 325 are in my price range. I've been comparing features, etc. ad nauseum.

Can any owners, or others familiar with these units offer any advice?

The receiver will be set-up in a smallish room (16x18) and will be powering 2 Dahlquist QX8's, 2 Dahlquist QX4's and the 50 series center channel. Overall amp power is not the most critical measurement for me. I want to have something I will be happy with for the next 2-3yrs., using it as my main HT receiver.

Thanks.

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

for that size room the 325 would probably be perfect. it has DD EX, which will probably extend its lifespan a bit more

3. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

Thanks for the feedback. I just got a great deal on a Pioneer 811, but I've read mixed reviews on their ability to drive the 6 ohm Dahlquist speakers. Since I will have at least 5 of them hooked up, I'm concerned about overloading the amp. The 811 only recommends speakers 8 ohm and above and there is no switch, etc. allowing lower ohm speakers.

I may see what kind of deal I can dig up on the HK 325.

4. SeanDM

SeanDM Agent

I wanted to post a quick follow-up on the Pioneer 811/Dahlquist issue. There was a post a while back where someone had problems driving an HT setup using this receiver and the new Dahlquist speakers.

I received my speakers recently and have not had any problems driving them with the 811. I have a 5.1 set-up and while I don't play them at ear-splitting volumes, they certainly get loud enough. I'm still experimenting with some of the various surround options and have not yet calibrated the speaker placement, but so far I'm happy with this combination. While the 811 might not have the "clean" power of the HK, I would be hard-pressed to find a better price/performance ratio than I got with this set-up: Receiver, sub, speaker wire and a few interconnects, 2 stands for the surrounds, and the 5 Dahlquist speakers for just under $1200. That even includes the RS SPL meter and a coax wire crimper!