What's new

HK 520/Onkyo 797/Yamaha Rx-V1200 Review (1 Viewer)

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
Here's a review on these three receivers I ran across today. Since I am a happy Onkyo 797 owner I agree with it.
However, I'm sure others will disagree. See link below.
David
Link Removed

Nick V

Second Unit
What is the MSRP on those receivers?? Isn't the Yamaha quite a bit less expensive than the HK and the Onkyo.

If that is in fact the case, that's a great compliment to the Yamaha.

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, he ran all of his tests through the Circuit Citys' sound board. I'm sure the listening evironment in the CC was totally optimized for speaker placement, seating position and acoustics in general! I'm also positive that the reviewer double-checked all of the wiring connections made by the CC "techs" to make sure polarity was correct! I did not see where he tested the other two receivers in the same controlled listening environment. He probably liked the Acoustimass speakers best out of his speaker choices! ;)
I do not own (nor have I heard) any of the three receivers reviewed but I truly believe if you are to do a "review" you need to have a controlled test where you run all of the products through the same tests in the same evironment.
The HK is pretty well received and I suspect the reviewer may have had issues with his test environment.:D
Aaron Smith

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
The HK is pretty well received and I suspect the reviewer may have had issues with his test environment.
Aaron,

I suspect the reviewer had more than that going on. Let's see...all the details one could ever hope to find about Yamaha and Onkyo...so much so it reads like an advert... and oh yes...he didn't like the sound of the 520.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I see you chose humor.

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
I have never seen the AVR-520 described as bright anywhere else. This review sounds suspect to me. As a 520 owner, I would descibe it as anything but bright. I found the sound to be very warm and pleasing.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
As many issues as I have had with my AVR520 I can confidently say sound quality is definitely not one of them. How can you possibly make a review of a receiver at CC.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Now there's a testimonial! :emoji_thumbsup:
Anyone on this forum familiar with the Hell Rob has gone through with his 520 should bear witness to his opinion of the receiver's sound quality. ;)
Hey Rob...did you ever sell it? Or get your issues resolved at all?

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
LOL!! That cracks me up. I never did sell it, I think I was just saying that out of frustration. I don't have the money now to get what I would want anyhow? After my remote died the second time I wrote HK and they took mercy on me and sent me a replacement remote w/o having to screw around with the warranty center again. It hasn't been bad lately with the auto shut-off thing either(knock on wood). I've learned to deal with the rest of the problems it has, I think.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I left out one thing. I guess this talented CC reviewer didn't hear any popping or clicking when making the rounds on the 797. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks