HK 520 for music

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian reis, Jul 12, 2002.

1. brian reis

brian reis Extra

I just hooked up my 520. I've heard great things about the 520 for 2 speaker music. Mine has too much bass. I have my powered sub crossover turned all the way up.
    My OSD doesn't let me choose anything for the front speakers. The only thing I can change is Sub none or Sub (L+R) with crossovers of either 40Hz or 60Hz.

Also a little too much bass watching dish TV. Currently have sub at 80Hz crossover. 100Hz should make it worse, right? Guess I could turn the bass knob on the receiver down. Or maybe turn volume on sub down. Any suggestions?

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I own a HK510 and I had a simlar issue until I calibrated using VE. After that everything was fine. Have you ever set up your system using a setup disc? If not you really should. If you have then write down the settings for the l, r, and sub and transfer them to the 2 channel input that you are using. That would be a good place to start.

Otherwise if you have your powered sub set up at the volume level you like for movies then just go into the menu when you are on the source you use for music and lower the subwoofer level (or increase the main speaker level) until the bass s where you like it.

The HK's store these settings per input so changing a level on the CD Input for instance will not change the values for DD or DTS. Do the same for the video input that you are using for the Dish.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

3. brian reis

brian reis Extra

I started to put the sub level in the negatives last night. I will continue to do that.

Weird thing is that in 2 channel stereo, OSD won't let me scroll to the front speakers (it just has --- next to it). Only sub settings.

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Excellent input Jeff!![​IMG]
    Also, let's not forget the old speaker placement issue if he still has problems with too much bass.
    Good Luck

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, turn the sub down at the sub first, then adjust with the controls on the receiver. What type of sub, frequency response, power etc... Have you already done EZ set with the remote?

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

With analog input, the front speakers are always set as 'Large' and this cannot be changed.

7. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

I moved my Sub out of the corner of the room into a more central placement. What a difference that simple act made! The sound is much less boomy and much more controlled. I was all ready to blame h/k, too!