HK 520 Bass Management Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Stamm, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

I have a question regarding the bass management of the HK AVR-520 when the speakers are set to "SMALL". The manual is unclear in this regard. The cross-over choices are 80 Hz and 100 Hz.

Does this pertain to both the speakers and the subwoofer or just to the subwoofer? For example, if I set the cross-over to 8O Hz, is an 80 Hz low-pass filter applied to the sub and an 80 Hz high-pass filter applied to the speakers.

One scary comment I saw on another thread is that the cross-over choices only apply to the sub and that the speakers are crossed-over at a fixed 100 Hz, no matter if 80 Hz or 100 Hz is selected, when "SMALL" is selected.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thank you very much,
    Greg

2. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I demoed this receiver and if you set speakers to small and a 80 hz xover the speakers are high passed at 80 and the sub is Low passed at 80.

If you set some speakers to large(40/60 option)all large speakers are xovered at your choice, and any speakers set to small are xover at 100hz(automatically)

Hope this helps

Are you aware of the DTS LFE discrepency? The DTS LFE signal is 10db lower than it should be. If you run your speakers at large the problem is not as bad, but if a small it can casue problems

Earle

3. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

Thanks Earle - I was hoping that was the case. Yes - I'm aware of the LFE problem. There's been quite a discussion on this lately that I've been monitoring.

I'm just now setting up my AVR-520. My first surround system of any kind - I've been using an old Sansuii 771 stereo from the 1970's.

One issue I'm having is that I can't get the OSD to appear on the TV. If I press any of the source or effect buttons I get those to show, but no menu. Also, when I select DVD, I get no audio and the L and R speaker display on the front panel is flashing. I only have the analog hooked up for now - I need more cables, but the front panel says "COAXIAL". I'm not sure how to change it to analog. My DVD player is set to output analog.

The TV, VCR and CD player works OK.

Hopefully, it's just me!

Thanks again,
    Greg

4. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

Earle,
    It's me again! I figured out the OSD problem - I need to select AVR first before pressing the OSD button. I also got sound from the DVD by selecting the digital output (S/PDIF) in the DVD player. I still need to find out how to select analog, although I probably won't use it much.
    We watched Monsters, Inc from DVD without calibrating anything, as it was getting too late. Pretty darn awesome! My system now consists of the following:
    HK AVR-520 A/V receiver
    Apex AD1500 DVD player
    Denon DCM-460 CD player
    Denon DRW-660 dual cassette
    Toshiba VCR
    ACI Sapphire III LE speakers (L/C/R)
    Infinity SM-110 floor standing speakers (surrounds)
    OK, looks pretty much like a hodge podge of stuff, some low-end and some relatively high-end. I'm hoping do some type of review once I get some mileage under my belt, as I have not heard from anyone running the AVR-520 with the Sapphires. The Infinitys will be replaced with potentially a bipolar surround like the Axiom QS-8's or Def Techs. Looking to get a rear center, too.
    Comparing very quickly the difference between the AVR-520 and the old Sansuii 771, I thought the Sansuii was a little bit smoother sounding. It's amazing - the Sansuii weighs about as much as the AVR-520 (2channels VS 5 channels)! Maybe theres something to be said about the vintage Sansuii gear. I know on the audio assylum that there are big fans of the old Sansuii amps - maybe I should check it out. I may have to do a good A/B test to see if there really is a difference.
    Anyway, what a jump - 2 channel with a sub to 5.1 Dolby Digital. Sorry for rambling, but......I'm excited. [​IMG]
    Greg

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Greg,
    What I heard of the 520 I liked, but I made the mistake[​IMG] of listeneing to a Rotel 1055 first. Hard to go t oanything else after hearing the silky sound of the Rotel.
    Im sure you will love yur 520 as I almost return the 1055 and kept the 520. THe 520 has some of the best Bass Management out there minus some high dollor prepros.
    One of the biggest things with the 520 is Logic 7, I;m hoping that Rotel will lease this from Harmon one day and alow al us Rotell fan to uprade our firmware.
    Enjoy you new toy. Oh the step from 2 channel to a 5.1 DD/DTS set is sweet[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Try the 7.1 if you have the room for 2 extra speakers, and then watch a DTS-ES movie. You will be ducking for cover at times.
    One of the best suggestions I can give you is to buy a Radio Shack SPL meter and calibrate your system properly, this will probably be the biggest tweek you can do for great sound.
    Good Luck
    Earle
    PS. Some of the older gear Marantz, Pioneer and probably Sansuii were built like tanks and there is a market for them check out ebay. There is also a classic audio equipment page which listed the value of certain pieces. You would be shocked how much some of this stiff is worth r=or at least what people are will to buy it for.

6. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

The HK bass managment work like this right?

With speakers on large:

selectable 40/60 -

Is there a way to not use the 40/60 feature and feed the front mains all the way down to 20hz or lower ?

What if you have some serious main speakers like Polk RT3000P towers with dual powered subs down to 18hz, is the bass management bad or good thing?

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I suspect that the crossover is for the sub only,when the selected "large",and the mains get full range.
    It doesn't make sense to call a speaker "large",when being highpassed.
    Someone who has one of these receivers, and some type of RTA program to graph the response should do it.
    Test it with ears is quiet inefficient,and could be missleading.

8. MichaelFusick

I don't think so... The manual eplains it that the fronts are high passed at either 40/60hz...

Is there no way to feed lower than 40hz to the fronts?

9. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

I believe that the manual states that the speakers get a full range signal - not crossed over and that the subwoofer cross-over choices are 40 Hz and 60 Hz.

Greg

10. MichaelFusick

really?

40hz is kinda a low cut off don't you think?

even 60hz is too...

I would chose about 75hz probably most time for most rooms, wouldn't you?

I thought it was the front speakers crossed over... Anyone know for sure?

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I've read the manual as I had this receiver for about a day, it was defective so I had to return it,and couldn't verify things on my own.
    However the manual doesn't say that the mains are highpassed when selected "large",rather that you have an option for the sub to select the lowpass at 40/60hz presumably for better blending with the mains.

12. MichaelFusick

I got the news...

When speakers are selected large it give option of running 40/60hz and up for the mains...

To make the mains run full range is a setting under the subwoofer.

If the sub is set to "LFE" then the mains are highpassed and recieve signal above 440/60hz.

If the SUB is set to "LFE+Left/Right" then the mains play full range.....

Just so you know....

13. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

A sub doesn't get highpassed at any point the term is lowpass!
    LFE+Main: means, that the bass normally goes to the mains when it set to large,is now "duplicated" in the signal that the sub receives!"LFE"setting is just the LFE goes to the sub,it doesn't affect the crossover of anyother speakers!
    Any more "great news"?
    Where did you get this one anyway? HK's "technical help desk"?[​IMG]