HK 520 and Onkyo 797 question for new user.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Nash, May 24, 2002.

1. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    I'm looking for opinions on these two receivers and also maybe the new Onkyo SR700. Here's the reason. I have accumulated enough circuit city gift cards through my work to buy either of the three. I originally had narrowed my decision to either the Marantz 7200, Denon 3802 or Yamaha 1200, but I decided to go for the "free" receiver at circuit city and put more money into speakers. Everyone knows they only carry HK or Onkyo as their two better lines. I've read positive things about both the HK 520 and Onkyo and I'm aware of the problems the Onkyo 797 has had. I know the SR700 is not out yet, at least not in my city. So it will be either HK or Onkyo. I also will be purchasing the Definitive Tech BP2006TL's or the BP2004TL's along with center and rears to use with this. I'll do a home demo to determine which speaker sounds better(Opinions on these helpful also). My wife did not like the idea of a separate sub sitting in the room, and really there was no room for it and front speakers. Also no way to hide the subs cables. After listening to the speakers in the store I think I'll be happy without one. Back to the receivers. I'll be using this primarily for movies and my room is approx. 18' x 30" with a pool table at one end.
    I am new to Home Theater, so no matter what I get it will sound 1000% better than what I have. That would be speakers from my 50" Hitachi Ultravision. I just want to make an informed decision and thought I would get good answers here. By the way I do already have a DVD and VCR. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.
    David

2. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

David,
    I have had the Onkyo 797 for the past 8 months and have not had the problem others speak of.[​IMG] I find that with 100 watts per chanel it is great for home theater.
    One comment would be with a room of that size surely you could find a spot for a sub which will make all the difference in the world with those explosions, etc. I think the new AV units do not have as much bass control or whatever as the units from 20 + years ago, I may be wrong.
    For a free-bee I would take the Onkyo and spend the money on speakers.
    If I were to purchase again with the products you listed I would get the Denon 3802 and then amp it if you wanted more power.[​IMG]

4. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I have a H/K AVR520 and have no problem recommending it. I've had it for about a month and a half. To be honest though, last night it gave me a scare. It wasn't picking up the audio from my DVD player and it was degrading the video signals. But I unplugged it for a couple of minutes, as per the manual, and the problem disappeared.
    Because of this, last night I was looking at possible replacements for my 520, just for fun. I must say that if I had to buy another receiver it'd be a hard task. I auditioned a number of receivers before settling on the H/K and none of them did "it" for me. As a matter of fact, one of my finalists was the Onkyo 797, but it was $150 more than the H/K 520 and sounded inferior IMHO.
    Even with last night's scare, if I had to do it again, I'd probably still get the 520.
    BTW, the SR700 is supposed to replace the TX-DS696, so I don't think it'd be fair to compare it to the 797. I have NO experience with the SR700, and it might be a very good receiver, but if you decide on an Onkyo, I'd opt for the 797.
    Good luck and happy hunting!

5. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I have a 797, have had no problems with it and can recommend it very highly. More than enough power for my large room, and sounds are generally excellent.

My family is amazed at how good moives sound.

6. Jason P. Brett

I've got the 797. It meets my needs beautifully and sounds great. When I first got it, I thought it was a little lean sounding for music, but it has warmed up a little in the mean time (about three months). I've never had a complaint about the movie sound. I don't have any experience with the 520, but I've heard good things about the H/K line.

Jason

7. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

The problem I have with new receivers in this range is the elimination of Tape 2 used to insert an EQ. I heard that an EQ can damage the dolby functions. I do not know how true this is.
    Just my preference, but I do like to "fiddle" with tone quite a bit as I do not usually enjoy straight recordings.
    Currently to insert an EQ I have to go through the Tape.
    inputs with EQ then to CD:b .
    Any thoughts on how stupid this is or other suggestions?[​IMG]
    Phil

8. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I don't know much about the Onkyo, but when I was doing my research, Onkyo ended up last on my list and I ended up buying the HK520. I have been happy with it and have never had a problem with it.

9. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    Thanks for the input on the receivers, especially StevenK.
    Good review. If the problem on the Onkyo 797 has been fixed, does anyone know the production date (month) to look for to make sure I'm getting the corrected version?
    Thanks,
    David