HK 3470, good buy or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Borbakov, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Mike Borbakov

im looking into getting myself a new stereo receiver. i dont want DD or DTS or none of that crap, im just gonna use this for music, 2 channel stereo operation. ive been recommended this receiver by a few on this board and ive been checking it out, it looks like i might be happy with it. it has the basic features that i like, tape monitor loops and phono inputs, and the AUX is a good thing to have too, i dont see a lot of new receivers with aux inputs. and i like the 100 watt rating. i would probably be happy with the 70 watt HK 3370, but i want head room! i dont want to have to be playing this thing at it's max for me to be happy with it's output, u know? i found it on crutchfield for 399. im thinking that that's a little steep. do u guys know if they have these at circuit city? and how much do they cost there? probably cheaper than crutchfield, they're expensive.
    would u guys recommend anything else? an where would i find a better deal on this receiver? i checked ebay, nothin. is this a good musical receiver? i want good clean uncolored sound. thanks. i have a pair of JBL S26s that i will hook up to whatever receiver i decide to buy. please, all suggestions are welcome. i think marantz is too expensive though, i realy wanna keep under 350 bucks. thanks a lot.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, Harman/Kardon stereo receivers are well regarded, and there are some members here who enjoy them. $400 is high for the HK 3470. Crutchfield's prices tend to match the brick and mortar stores and are high. You won't find the H/K stereo receivers at Circuit City even though they carry H/K products. The megastores have just about moved entirely to home theater receivers. Better prices for H/K stereo receivers can be found at OneCall (1-800-340-4770) or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). Both are authorized dealers.
    Last November, I started a stereo system for a second room, and I considered the HK 3470. J&R quoted me $300 for the HK 3470 and $250 for the HK 3370. In the end, I decided to get the NAD C 350 stereo integrated amplifier and have no regrets. Integrated amps are generally considered the better route than are receivers at a given price point. The receiver has a tuner, which means that often times, compromises are made in the pre-amp and amp sections and tuner. The integrated amp being a simpler components, allows the designer to pay greater attention to detail to the pre-amp and amp sections. In any event, NAD's integrated amps are very well regarded, and the C 350 is a lot amp for the price. NAD rates it at 60 WPC, but two British hi-fi magazines independently measured it at 95 WPC continuous power last year. Wattage isn't everything, but the C 350 is a great sounding amp for the money.
    The C 350 retails for $430, but I got mine from Sound City (1-800-370-3156) for $325. They are an authorized NAD dealer. That's the way I'd go. If you want a tuner, you could always add one later and get one that is probably better than what the H/K receiver offers. An integrated amp was perfect for me since such components are generally better than receivers and I don't listen to the radio at home.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Mike Borbakov

i NEVER listen to the radio at home. im interested in the NAD, but i have like no experience with intregrated amplifiers. how do they work? are they like a receiver with all the inputs and stuff just without a tuner or what? it's probably a stupid question, but im totally ignorant to intregrated amps. I'll check out the NAD C 350 and see what i think. i know watts arent everything, but my speakers seem like they need a little more power than other ones ive used before. and my old 100 watt amp pushed them nicely with lots of headroom available. and if the NAD really puts out 95 wcp i'd be perfectly happy with that. i just need more info on it before i can decide if i want it or not. thanks

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i like keith's idea a lot!
    i haven't listened to any NAD gear, but i would definitely consider them a notch above hk. it'll probably give you higher performance than the hk. it's nice to know that level of gear is affordable.
    if i were you mike, i would definitely think about it. especially since they're at the same price-points. go to audioreview.com and see what others buyers think about it.
    ps - an integrated amp is basically the pre-amp and amp together, with no tuner. think of it as the amplifier & "source switcher" in one box. another way to think of it is a receiver without a radio.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

5. Mike Borbakov

i went to audioreview.com and everyone who reviewed it liked it a lot. i think it'd be a good buy for me. ill make a post about it and ask around here before i do anything though. thanks for the help guys

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, you may have found this out already, but an integrated amp is a receiver without the tuner. Therefore, with an integrated amp, you have a pre-amp and a power amp in one box. So, you connect your components and speakers to the back panel and you're off! One thing you will notice about integrated amps is that they lack LED displays, which receivers have. This, of course, is because you there are no radio station frequencies to view.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime