HK 325 vs HK 330 vs HK 525

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KrishnaS, May 14, 2004.

1. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

I promise this is my last thread on receiver buying advice. I've narrowed down my choice to the above three and need some help in finalising my decision. The price points are relatively close

All prices are for refurbed models from the HK website

325 - $330
    330 - $390
    525 - $430

I am also going to be buying a Pioneer 563 Universal Player. That fact is important because of bass management consideration when choosing a receiver.

I plan on running my Energy Take 5.1 System with the new receiver. Sometime this year I will upgrade my fronts and add an outboard amp to drive them. So the amplification doesn't need to be top notch. More important are the pre pro aspect becuase I plan on upgrading my pre pro last - at least 2 years away.

Keeping my reqs in mind, what do you recomend. The main reason for this thread - and yes I have read ALL the other HK threads- is to see if there are any problems with the receivers I have in mind. I think the only thing the 330 adds over the 325 is the new color scheme and a few more watts per channel.

Am I making the right decision in choosing one of these models or is there another model - 430 or 630 - that I should be looking at.

Thanks for your advise!

2. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

The Pioneer 563 Universal Player has it's own bass management for SACD and DVD-A, so you don't need HK's Bass Management. In fact, if you have to use Bass Management, you're adding an additional "PCM" ADC - DAC conversion. Being the conversion is PCM, you'd kill any claimed DSD performance of SACD. IMO, if the BM isn't in the player, I don't want it.

Read S&V's review of the 563, they describe the BM. I've conversed with many on-line and in person and they feel this is one hek of a DVD player. I'd buy it myself, but DVD-A and SACD seem to be taking off very, VERY slowly and I'm not about to drop any substantial amount of money on a format that might be rare or obsolete in a few years.

I really like the player and it's been hard to keep from running over to BB and picking it up. Other than DVD-A playback, I have no use for it so I'll wait and see how the format goes. I'm not a big fan of the SACD format. Many I've talked to in person weren't thrilled with it and sighted DVD-A being much better. Also, DVD-A carries more of the bands I like, SACD carries less than a handful. So I'll wait.[​IMG]

Have a good one.

3. KrishnaS

Mike,

I thought the concensus was that the bass management on the 563 was horrible? Apparently the crossover points make it such that the sub doesn't come on when it should. Someone , on one of these forums - i can't keep it straight anymore - suggested that for a cheap player like the 563 it might be better to use the receivers bass management system. Let me know if I'm wrong - if the bass management on the 563 is satisfactory I will save myself a hundred bucks and go witht he 325!

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Krishna,

Go for the Denon AVR-3803. Trust me. [​IMG]

5. KrishnaS

I would, if I could find one. And why are you trying to confuse me more eh?

[​IMG]

6. KrishnaS

Why do you say 3803? You're not a HK fan?

7. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Home Theater Magazine gave it a very good review and S&V did also. The one thing S&V stated was that DVD-A crossovers were fixed at 120 Hertz, which they thought were to high. Granted, that is high, but I have my AVR-3803 set to 100Hz already to gain the greatest benefit from my center channel. While it's not a small CC, it has two 5 1/2" woofers, it still rolls off below 100Hz. I originally had an 80Hz crossover but was noticing the bass hole with DPL2, DD 5.1 isn't as obvious being it's discrete. Once I upped the crossover to 100Hz, the hole filled in great.

I talked to a guy at the local audio shop who had both the Yamaha and the Pioneer Universal players. He was very VERY impressed with the Pioneer saying it was very close to the Yamaha in performance and perhaps would had never spent the grand on the Yamaha if the Pioneer shown up earlier. That's just one opinion, but it impressed the crap out of me.

I thought I'd bring this up again, be very careful with refurbished products. I've been stung with DBS receivers, TVs, and cell phones. I avoid refurbished product like the plague. With warranty items sometimes you don't have a choice but when I'm paying money for a product, I do. Not telling you what to do, just stated my experiences. BTW, the Denon AVR-2802 equalled the power output of the more costly and higher class HK AVR-510 so don't let anyone fool you into believing that HKs put out more power, they don't.Power ratings

Have a good one.

8. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

In my setup, if I used the bass management on my 525 instead of the 563a, the system sounded much better. I have also read where people have been happy with the performance of the 563a and its bass management.

While true...the issue is the Denon did not meet its claimed power output, but the HK did. Denon claimed the 2802 was 91watts x 6, but it tested at 74watts x 5 and 61watts x 6. The HK 510 was claimed to have 70watts x 5 and tested at 74watts x 5.

9. KrishnaS

I'm going to be running the Energy Take 5 satellite system with a sub. Does that make a difference in the bass management of the 563? I have come down to the 325 vs the 525. If I find out that the 563's bass management will work well in my system I will go with the 325. I really don't need the powerful amps of the 525 to drive my current system and any future upgrade I do will add an outbooard amp.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the patience!

10. KrishnaS

Mike - thanks for the advice. I will be ipicking up the 5803 new from onecall. It's cheap enough that I don't need to look at ecost. As far as the receiver, if I go with the HK 525 I will be buiying it directly from the HK refurb store with a 2 year warranty. So I think I should be covered.

Thanks again for all your help bud! I owe you a beer or two if you're ever in Indianapolis.

11. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

That's good that there is a 2 year warranty because as I remember there were a few who bought refurbed from HK and had problems. HK did give them brand new receivers though. So you should be O.K. if you don't mind dealing with a few headaches if problems do arise.

Good luck.

12. KrishnaS

Hahaha. My bad. I meant 563. All these numbers are running together! :b

13. KrishnaS

OK guys - I did it. Just placed an order with HK online for the AVR 525. This is a 1000 dollar receiver that I got for 450 with a 2 year warranty. I think I made a smart buy. I also picked up the Pioneer 563a from Onecall for 150.

What next? What do I have to do to get ready? Cables, SPL meter and Video Essentials is all I can think of. Anything I'm missing?

KS

14. RaviK

RaviK Agent

Krishna

Where did you get that 525 for $450? Could you please post the URL? I've been hunting harman audio for a week and couldn't find a single 525 [​IMG]

Ravi