HK 325 - DTS issues

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Derek N, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Derek N

Derek N Agent

I just wanted to hear what other 325 or 525 owners experience when they watch DTS disks.

Gladiater is ES and when I plan this disk the receiver correctly picks DTS ES. When i play any other DTS 5.1 disk though the receiver always shifts into DTS + Neo6 mode. Now I don't know (can't tell from the manual) whether this is actually DTS or Neo 6 during the movie. What I do know is that it does not sound as good as DD. The DTS ES sounds great, so i am thinking that the HK is not getting the full DTS signal or something. On some movies the Dolby starts out as DD + PLII during the previews, movie company logo and switches to DD pure when the movie starts. I guess this is what I expected from the DTS side.

Am I actually in DTS and it just shows the dts + neo6?

The DVD is set to output DTS and It is connected via digital coax.

As a tack on question, I bought a DTS audio disk and it is supposed to have a 96 khz track but the 96 khz indicator does not light up on the HK. Does it have to come through the analog input? (i just don't know what else it could be).

I am using a Sony Sony DVP-NS755V

Derek N

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Have you tried FORCING the receiver into DTS mode? If you cannot do this, then something is definitely wrong.

Normally, I would say you do not have your DVD player setup correctly, but if ES is working, then you may have another issue. Check your settings anyway, just to be sure. You should have DTS set to "bitstream". The fact that it goes to NEO:6 may mean it things it is getting a stereo signal, which may mean you have DTS set to PCM.

DTS is passed via digital connections.

3. The Void

The Void Agent

I just got my AVR325 Monday and I've been setting it up and learning how everything works. I'm loving it so far. I have a DVD player hooked up to the COAX 1 input. When I play a DTS 5.1 disc it displays DTS on the front of the display and decodes the DTS signal properly. I haven't tried a DTS ES disc yet.

When DTS or DD is detected it will lock you out of the 2 channel modes like NEO:6, Dolby Pro Logic II, Logic 7, Stereo. I haven't even tried NEO:6 yet but what you are describing doesn't sound right. I'd double check how everything is hooked up, go through the manual again, etc. You may be overlooking some small detail.

I don't understand how DTS ES could work but not DTS. The setup on the DVD player and reciever will be the same for both.

4. TimLP

TimLP Auditioning

Derek, I have had my 325 for a month or so and have noticed the exact same thing with DTS disks and Gladiator. Also it will no let me select any other DTS soundfield, so we must have something set up wrong. Tonight I will try a digital coax from my DVD player.

5. TimLP

TimLP Auditioning

I checked with HK tech support and the person told me with a 5.1 DTS DVD, with the speakers set to 6.1/7.1 the AVR will automatically be set to DTS NEO6. According to him we are still getting DTS 5.1 but just adding the 2 rears in for more effects. DTS-ES DVDs have a fully matrixed 6.1/7.1 track so there is no need for enhancement. Hope this helps.

6. Derek N

Derek N Agent

Thanks TimLP:

I knew I wasn't overlooking anything in the hook-up. Hell I have been doing this for years (and for everyone I know) and had gone over everything in every possible setting even though I knew the first was right anyway.

Perhaps I just prefer the the DD presentation to the DTS one. Although the Gladiator DTS ES sure is impressive. I will have to calibrate the speaker levels for DTS again just to make sure (and I thought I would only use the SPL meter a few times.)

Now I will admit the it took me a months to figure out that every single input and every sound choice in that input had to be set up seperately. I wanted flexibility and I sure got it. I never would have thought that I would need to calibrate the same speakers repeatedly. I mean how different are the going to react to the same test tone.

Derek N