What's new

HK 320 or Denon 1803 (1 Viewer)

Steve Cross

Agent
Hello,
I'm shopping around for a new receiver, and would like your opinions on the denon 1803 and the hk 320,
features seem close, and enough for me.
What I'm worried about is tone, no one in my town seems to carry denon, I tested an hk 225 and loved the rich, robust sound, but it seemed to lack (just a little) in the highs, I've read raves about denon here, and was just curious what you think of the sound of the 1803, compared to the hk, (not really worried about 6/7.1).
tyia
Steve

KyleRoussel

Stunt Coordinator
Well without getting into specs (someone else is probably better suited for that) I love my HK 320. The sound, the features, the look and the setup, which I found surprisingly easy.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
I have a h/k 320 paired with 3 adcom GFA-535's in a 7 speaker setup (2 center surround speakers each powered by their own amplifier channel). The 320 drives my front center channel only, the other 6 speakers are all powered by the adcoms. I was a little apprehensive about trying this, but with the volume levels balanced through all channels I can't tell a difference in the sound coming from the center speaker. Playing back movie soundtracks the front soundstage is seamless. Needless to say I'm happy with the results. I should note that my speakers are all 100% identical which I'm sure helps in this regard, but I've had at least one of these adcoms for more than 12 years and never felt the need to upgrade it through several different music and HT systems in which it has pulled duty. So I'm very happy with the H/K's amplifier section. It certainly does not color the sound (at least not more or appreciably differently from my adcom 535's).

Keep in mind however that I'm using a amplifier with a power supply rated to drive 5 channels to drive just one, using it to drive a speaker with a 96 dB/watt sensitivity, and further have my center speaker cut off below 80 Hz. More taxing loads on the amp could make it less transparent.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
The general consensus is that the Denon/HK receivers in a similar $ range are almost equivalent, with HK *maybe* edging out Denon for 2 ch stereo music. I've heard em both and I can't tell enough difference that would nudge me one way or the other.

Find the one that looks the coolest to you and happens to be on sale. BTW - They are both excellent recievers, either one is a fantastic choice.

DonJ

Second Unit
I love my H/K 320. Its stereo sound and imaging still amazes me today. If you listen to a lot of music go with the H/K. There about the same for multichannel

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks