1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HK 235 or Pioneer 1014, What do I do???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Clay Harvey, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Clay Harvey

Clay Harvey Auditioning

For the last two weeks I have been trying to make a decision on a new receiver. I have entertained a Denon AVR-1905, an Onkyo 602, HK 135 and 235, and finally the Pioneer VSX-1014. I first have to admit that I love Harman Kardon receivers. I think they look the best, and I love the sound of them. I have really been looking at the HK 235, and more recently the Pioneer 1014. All the reviews on the Pioneer seem great, and it has a ton of features for the money. It too doesn't look bad. I can also order either of these lines through my work. Pricewise they are both almost identical with the HK 235 being $330 out the door and the pioneer being $360. Component inputs, on screen display, and sound quality were very important to me, and these are along the same lines. If someone out there has messed with these two or been in my shoes, please help me make a decision. The speakers I will be pushing with them will be Polk RTi4 fronts, a Polk CSi3 center, and TruAudio 6.5" in-ceiling rears.

2. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

pioneer is the better deal i have one myself it looks better than HK's in my opinion the pioneer is much cleaner looking plus its just alot bigger 34pds and 18 3/4 deep(impressive looking)(cant beat that THX Select Certified sticker on the front either). The pioneer seems to be stronger with alot more features, the actully sound quality will proabably be the same.Also if ur lazy the pioneer has MCACC.

3. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have a 235 and I am very pleased with it. It has plenty of power and the sound is superb.

4. John S

John S Producer

The Pre/Pro and Video switching sections of the Pioneer are worth it alone in my opinion.

Even if I was doing high end separates, I'd have to look at getting one just for the pre/pro section and video switching, I'd probably pony on up to the most current 1015, but at that price, a 1014 is unbeatable overall.

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have compared both side by side. The HK, IMO sounds better and has more power regardless of the specs. Logic 7 is fantastic. I felt the Pioneer lacked bass and was rather thin. I tested both quite extensively with music and home theater.

I think the 1014 is an excellent receiver but overrated when people state how much better it is than other models.

The 235 has some features the 1014 does not have. Best bet is to try them both. Also throw the Onkyo 602 into the mix.

6. brendy

brendy Agent

I got the Onkyo 602 3 weeks ago.With the H-K,Onkyo & Denon your getting build quality thats among the best.Both the H-K & Onkyo have high current power supplies which directly relates to how many watts per channel an amp can really output.The H-k is rated at 890 watts & my Onkyo at 804 watts.The Pioneer is rated only at 480 watts.All figures were obtained from the owners manuals.The wattage rating is usually the max it will draw regarding AC.Do you want build quality or "bells & whistles" ?

7. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

How do you come up w/ these numbers? Onkyo 602 and HK 235 have almost twice as much power over the Pio 1014? Can anyone confirm this?

8. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the Pioneer's rated consumption is not MAX while the others are.

9. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Me too!

Or the others are quoting short time maximum rating, i.e. based on short time overload capability of the power supply while the Pioneer's lower number may be for continuous duty, but not "maximum". I am not saying all these matter, most people do not need to drive all 7 channels to their rated output, let alone continuously. It is good to have the facts though, instead of interpreting the numbers at the back of the receivers freely. May be someone should ask H.K., Onkyo, Pioneer and Denon to give us more details, in order to settle this argument once and for all.

The 235 is not light, but does not seem heavy enough to house a transformer that can draw 890 watts continuously. Again, just guessing, not facts.

10. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Since I have tested them side by side-same set-up, same speaker-i can say the 235 has more power and headroom in real world application. The 1014 only weighs a couple pounds more than the 602 and 235. Much of this is in the larger housing-not necessarily the transformer.

Does it really matter? No-they all have enough power for most people. However, I woulk take the 235 over any of them if it had auto-eq. The 602 has been great so far. Great auto set-up as well. Mine came with remote for the 702-it is backlit-nice bonus there.

Regardless of the specs, the telling should be in actual performance.

11. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

No argument here. Different people perceive differently so regardless of specs, reviews, and opinions, one should always go and do his/her comparison listening. Unfortunately this is hard to do in real life.