1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Hitman 2 - XBOX...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Oct 8, 2002.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Just picked this one up...

Im really enjoying it. Anyone else playing this??

2. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Keith,

I'm tempted to pick this one up. Let's hear more about your like and dislikes. How's the gameplay/controls?

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I have it too, it's a great game. I haven't heard even one negative impression yet. If you're a fan of games like Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid, you should definately pick it up. While it isn't as polished as MGS2, I'd say there is a lot more meat to the actual gameplay, and it actually topples MGS2 from its perch atop the stealth action genre. You can turn down the difficulty and play it like Max Payne too, but you won't be rewarded with the secret weapons(to get the best rank on a level, you can only kill your target and your cover cannot be blown)

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Im only on the 3rd misson, but so far the graphics are impressive, character movements are accurate, even when dragging bodies onto railroad tracks and environments are very detailed and interactive, right down to the sewer rats!! The sounds are good and the symphony music is beautiful and sets the mood. I never played the first one so I cant really compare to anything.
    The gameplay is unique to me. Its very addictive yet challenging. Each mission has specific tasks, but the way you accomplish these tasks is open ended. This game has real re-play value. Each mission is very different than the last. It has a wide range of weapons and ways to kill. Also, the training grounds are fun, check out the pigs.
    So far, the only negative aspect of the game is the fact that if you fail the current mission, it ends abruptly. It would be cool to just explore the lush environments or go on a killing spree without being forced to retry kinda like GTA. It does have 7 saves per mission, so you can be creative with where you save to go back later and have some fun...

I would definetly recommend this game, beware it is addictive!!!

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I rented it, but while the execution is great, it's not as open or as realistic as the manual suggests.

I had a lot of trouble with a assination in a park. The targets are arriving by limo, but if you harm any guard before the targets arrive, they escape. Does not matter if they are behind a dumpster, in a room, behind a building, etc. "Magically" the targets get scared off.

Once the targets arrive, you can take someone out to obtain a disguise, but then you can walk right up to a car and plant a bomb while standing next to guards. Other times you get near guards they quickly see through your disguise. - Very inconsistant. I avoided planting the bomb for many retries because the cars always had guards.

You dont know it, but you can return to your 'pickup' spot and get a second car bomb, but the interface does not tell you this: I kept playing by planting 1 bomb, then waiting to shoot the second target.

The designers seemd to have a pre-set way they expect you to solve the level and you have to try/fail/try/fail until you figure it out. And they do this by being inconsistant with their own rules.

Or am I being too hard on the game?

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I saved right after: running accross the street and showing myself to the guard so that he moves between the dumpsters. I shot him with the silenced pistol - no alarm, but a few minutes later I get "A suspect has escaped" no matter what I seem to do. This happens even if I go behind the tower (to the right) and get the guard to come talk to me and take him out out-of-sight of anybody. The other guards dont seem to notice, but the limo seems to.

To be honest, I'm playing at night after the girls are in bed so I'm not at my sharpest. The game WAS very involving (which also means frustrating/challenging). The game also seems to be right up there with other FPS like Ghost Recon, Deus Ex in terms of solid game play/complexity.

Let me ask:Where you ever able to get over to the tower building and pick the lock without alerting the guard? No matter how I was dressed he instantly alerted (even when he was walking away) when I tried to pick the lock.

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

very cool...

Im on mission 4 now... The graphics are getting better and I am actually free-roaming more...

I want to get Blinx, but am afraid I wont even play it, cuz im lovin this game too much...

9. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

BOB:

yes, I got up into the Tower, but had a hard time killing the guard up top. So I gave up on that and went straight to planting the car bomb.

Im finding where you are looking while walking makes a BIG difference. If you try and look away from guards, it minimizes the risk of setting off the alerts...

Hope this helps...

10. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Bob- I was able to pick the lock without any trouble. I don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything, but you ARE wearing a guard uniform, right? I found it beneficial to approach from behind the building and wait for the patrolling guard, then bump him off. The guy at the top isn't difficult to dispatch if you're patient since he looks out the window all the time. I just crouched on the stairs until he was looking away, toggled sneak mode, and strangled him from behind. I prefer the radio tower actually. The sniper shot is much tougher, but it's a lot easier to escape after you do it.

Also, if you're having problems with the targets leaving, try RESTARTING the mission as opposed to loading a saved game. You might have done something before you saved that is causing them to leave. I know for a fact that the limo doesn't "see" what is going on because I've strangled that first guard right as it passes by about 10 times with no problems. Don't "show" yourself to him at the start, just hide behind the corner he pauses next to and strangle him, then drag him behind the wall. The target might have been frightened since that first guard saw a suspicious bald guy in a suit.

I'm close to the end of the game(mission 17) and I must say it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. I'd actually say it's underrated with the 8.5-9.0's most sites have given it. Some of the later missions are absolutely brilliant and are a cut above anything I've seen in another FPS/3rdPS in terms of complexity and ingenuity.

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

12. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

[​IMG] Yes, we're both playing the Xbox version. Some problems you might be having since you're new to the game are:
    1. Make sure to HOLSTER your weapon anytime you want to walk by guards. If you have your weapon at the ready position(number of bullets are shown in top right corner) then they'll become suspicious a lot quicker.
    2. The little pulsating suspicion meter is also based on distance. If you stay as far away from guards as possible, look straight ahead, don't pause in one place while you're in their view, and WALK instead of running, you should be ok.
    3. Don't even worry about the limo drivers. Wait until you see them talking and walking around the park, be patient, and pop both of their heads with a single shot.(BTW, if you're going to take the radio tower shot, circle around to it the long way behind all the buildings that are along the pathway to your right at the start of the level)
    4. Never let a gaurd get a shot off with an unsilenced weapon(also never shoot an unsilenced weapon) unless you want your cover to be blown. Also, make sure to stash your bodies.
    5. DISGUISE DISGUISE DISGUISE!!!! Generally, you should pretty much always be walking around in someone else's clothes.

13. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I was thinking of picking up Timesplitters, but I've read it's more focused on multi-play vs. single person (note: not live, but rather system link or LAN). The single game experience sounds kind of lean. Given all this feedback on Hitman and the review I read at GameSpot I'll think I'll grab this instead. Sounds very cool.

14. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hitman 2 is kind of like Ghost Recon: more subtle/slower. (walking everywhere is key but it's hard to be patient).
    I guess what I'm saying is to buy both games, but do Hit Man 2 first.
    But dont forget we have for XBox:
    • Hitman 2
    • Terminator
    • TimeSplitters
    • Lord of the Rings

And for the PC we have:
    • Unreal Championship
    • No One Lives Forever 2
    • Hitman 2
    • Mafia

So there are LOTS of A-list titles for both platforms that just came out. (Heck..it's friday! My favorite rental store puts out new games on friday. I'm outta here [​IMG] )