What's new

Hitman 2 XBOX Problems?! No 480p with HD cables? HELP! (1 Viewer)

Josh Z

Auditioning
Just got Hitman 2 for my birthday. I’ve been using the XBOX with the High Def A/V pack on my Samsung widescreen RP HDTV for almost a year now without an issue (apart from the jumbled interlaced XBOX setup screen graphics that I’m sure everyone using a 1080i HDTV is familiar with).

When I put in Hitman 2, the graphics are a jumbled 480i mess (like the setup screen). I first thought there was something wrong with my cables, XBOX or TV, but I went through and put in every game I have and they all are fine except for Hitman. I’ve rented dozens of games and have never come across this. I’ve even played games like Batman Vengeance, which I believe is one of the only games NOT 480p but it still worked fine and was not un-viewable like this.

Oddly enough, if you wait and let the pre-game demo run through without touching any buttons, the prologue runs and is screwed up like everything else, but after that runs a 30 second or so trailer for Hitman 2 (even says Fall 2002) and it runs perfectly in progressive scan! It's like it is taunting me!

Then it goes back to the menus/ prologue and is screwed up again.

Please, someone tell me that they have had success with H2 in 480p w/ the High Def kit. Hopefully I just got a defective disc and I can return it for a good one. Has anyone ever come across a bad disc like this with Hitman 2 or any other discs?

I was so looking forward to this game. Arrrrgh.

Thanks in advance…

Josh

JamesH

Supporting Actor
No 480p for Hitman. Very lame.

Fortunately, it really doesn't affect the way the game looks all that much since the graphics are very clean to begin with and it runs at 30FPS. Everything synchs up just right and line doubled Hitman looks very close to how it would look in true 480p.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
And from what I've read it certainly doesn't hinder game play. I think I'm going to pick this up today.

Gary King

Second Unit
I'm disappointed with the lack of 480p, but the graphics are clean (despite being in 480i), the sound is great, and the game is very cool.

It's definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Josh Z

Auditioning
Okay. It has been confirmed that Hitman 2 is one of the only games on the XBOX in existance to not be in 480p. This really sucks for those of us that only have one 480p/480p input and one 480p/1080i input on our HDTVs. I use the 480p/480p input for my progressive scan DVD player. I have the 480p/1080i set up with a 2 input switcher to switch between my HDTV STB and my XBOX. The reason why I have the XBOX on the 480p/480p input is so I can play the 1080i XBOX games (like Dragons Lair) when they become available.

So no I have to rearrange all my cabling just to play this one game because they didn’t feel like putting it in 480p like virtually every other game out there. And then once I get a 1080i game I’ll have to move everything back the way it is now and forget about ever playing Hitman 2 again. Really frustrating.

Any hope that this was an unintentional screw-up and they will send out new, non defective discs?

Can anyone explain to me why they did not put the game in 480p but they DID put the pre-game montage/trailer on the game in 480P? Does that make any sense?

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Any hope that this was an unintentional screw-up and they will send out new, non defective discs?
Can anyone explain to me why they did not put the game in 480p but they DID put the pre-game montage/trailer on the game in 480P? Does that make any sense?
I like to think of it as pure laziness on the part of the developers, and the only reason that they will not be getting a thin dime from this potential buyer. "Fine if you want to miss out on a good game," some may say, but 480p is the price of entry into my game machine. No 480p, no purchase. Like they care, I know, but still :).
BTW, I'm in the same boat with regard to the 480i/480p, no 480i on my high bandwidth connection. So it's a major hassle to switch.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've been battling my way through this game as a rental. While only doing 480i, I have found some sound bugs where things like 47's gunshots go silent and some guards voices go silent (but not their gunshots).

Overall I'm enjoying the game, but there are still a few bugs in the system.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
strange.. it seems as if it would take more effort to bypass the 480p capability, I mean just about EVERY game on the X-Box has it.

David Glenn

Second Unit
I plan on picking up Hitman 2 today.

Any other Sony KP-57WV700 owners out there? Supposedly the rear-panel wide-bandwidth component video connections are compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals.

If the 480i is a no go, switching out my component connection for the s-video is a small price to pay for such a good game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks