Hitman 2 is hard...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Fisher, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Hey everyone,
    I picked up Hitman 2 yesterday after work and I played it for a couple hours last night, and its hard! I know I suck at it right now, but man, every time i would kill a guard somehow the other guards would be alerted. When I would kill someone silently, I would drag the body to a place I thought was remote, but a guard would always end up finding the body. This game is great though, it really tests my patience.
    I wish I could just bring my xbox to work and play so I could get better. [​IMG]

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i found that out too!
    I got the PC version, it is hard. Its freakin impossible to use any of the 'stealth' weapons like the garotte wire or the chloroform. They always see me. and being the impatient guy i am, i hate walking, he walks so slow! [​IMG]
    Awesome looking game though, so glad it runs smoothly on my computer

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Nick, the one thing I found out quickly is that you have to be in "Stealth" mode to successfully use the wire or the chloroform. The easiest way I found to do it is to wait until they have stopped moving and then get them from behind with the wire or chloroform. But I'm still learning.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, but stealth you go SO SLOW... by the time i reach them, they've already seen me :p)

Where are you right now? I dont play too muhc, but im at the part where i finshed killing the two guys in the park, and now im killing this other general. Its pretty intense wearing another outfit trying to sneak by guards...

I still havent been able to sneak up on anybody without them turning around on me.

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

To bring this thread back from the dead, I rented Hitman 2 yesterday. I must say, I think this game is terrible. It is an amazing concept but it's impossible to remain stealthy. Regardless of how careful I am I always get spotted. This coming from someone who loved MGS 1 and 2 and from what I've played/seen I've loved splinter cell. In Hitman 2, it's cool that you don'y have to use stealth but there are so many enemies that if you don't stay hidden you're gonna quickly get killed. I can't even get past the first level(I can barely even get into the Don's house without being spotted). Anyone have any tips? I'm slow and methodical about this game but it's just going from hard to impossible, thus making me want to just return my rental about 4 days early. Am I the only one having problems with the insane difficulty of this game? I think I'm even playing the game on Easy.

6. James T

James T Screenwriter

To get in the Don's house...take notes.

Chloroform the mailman, take his flowers and clothes then run to the side of the house(you'll see a van) and place all your weapons in the tray, then run all the way back to the front of the house(walk when you get close to the guards). They'll search you and find nothing, so they'll let you go through. Your weapons are in the kitchen.

I'll agree this is one tough game. I stopped playing it awhile ago. I got to this part in the game where I'm suppose to sneak into the secured base (second part) and I can't go anywhere without being seen. And once you're seen there, many guards come out to kill you.

7. Dave Bennett

James,
    I never would have thought to try that(the groceries)! I would always get the postman but I'd just drop my weapons when they searched me. Thanks for the tip, perhaps I can learn to enjoy the game with your advice!

8. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Anybody play Thief or Thief 2? Is Hitman 2 similar to the stealthiness to those games?

Thief and Thief 2 were hard games, but they were managable. Is Hitman 2 about as hard?

I'm thinking about picking up Hitman 2 but I haven't decided.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I have a fun way to take out the Don. From where you start, find the side door to the compound (it's in front and a little to the right of you, next to a clump of trees) and wait for a guard to come out and take a leak. Creep up on him and take him out by whatever means you like, then run inside and dash into the garage and pick up the sniper rifle. Now, run all the way back to where you started from (on top of that ridge), settle down, and zoom in with your rifle on the balcony. Pretty soon, the Don comes out to practice his golf swing. Line him up in your crosshairs, and...POW! Big fun.
    Then the tricky part is getting to his body to get the keys to the basement. I usually dress as a guard, walk when I can so as not to arouse suspicion, and keep my back to the guards as much as I can. I try to complete every level without killing anyone (or at least by killing as few people as possible), but I must admit I had to go a little bullet-happy in that first level. The next few were easier.
    I especially like the embassy level where you have to crash a dinner party to assassinate a general. That was a lot of fun, and there is a way to complete it without killing anyone but your target:
    Poison the general's champagne
    You probably know this, but if you can complete a level without alerting or killing anyone but your target, you achieve a "Silent Assassin" rating, and you unlock a special weapon. Hard to do, though. [​IMG]

10. Kyle-K

Kyle-K Stunt Coordinator

The coolest thing about the game was how many different ways you could do each level. That first level alone you could use the postman method listed above, or you could go in as the grocer throught the back entrance, or you could go in as a guard through the side.

I usually took out the guard on the side, and then walked into the backyard, climbed up the ladder to the roof and took out the target when he was alone in his office. Then hide the body on the roof and casually stroll back out.

11. James T

James T Screenwriter

If the game weren't as difficult, I'd have loads of fun. Imagine how hard this game would be without the IN-GAME SAVE feature?

What's cool about this game is that there isn't just one way to finish the level.

In regards to the Ambassador level, I loved that level. I felt like Bond, walking right up and joining the party with a tux and not have anyone shoot me. I don't remember how I past that level, but I'm sure I didn't use the poison.

Another fun level is where you have to assasinate the Japenese guy and at the same time put a tracking device on him...NOTE to people: disguising yourself as a Japanese body guard won't work...hehe...I learned the hard way.

12. Dave Bennett

AH. I did the put your guns in groceries bit and entered the compound dressed as the postman. I tried to work my way to the kitchen but was spotted. If it wasn't so damn hard to stay hidden this game would be great. I may give it a few more tried but man oh man am I glad I didn't do a blind buy on this game.

13. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I found Hitman to be a decent challenge on the hard difficulty level. Beating the levels is pretty easy, but getting Silent Assassin isn't. It was a fun little diversion for a few weeks, and one of my favorite games last year.

14. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I find that Hitman 2 (and the end levels of Splinter Cell, for that matter) tend to be very Dragon's Lair like; make a choice, die, try again, make correct choice, make next choice, die, try again.

Let me give you an example from Splinter Cell. Spoilers may abound. The mission to get Feirong's data, then blow up the trucks. Get through the keypad door, kill the guard, disable the gun, kill the other guard, climb up, disable the turret, kill the two new guards. Ok. Hand over hand across the pipe; scripted action brings out two guards who kill you dead.

Start over. Shoot out all the lights. Hand over hand across the pipe. Shoot the two guards in the head. Ooops, the mission's over, and I'm insane. Oh, look, a retinal scanner.

Start over. Shoot out all the lights. Hand over hand across the pipe. Wait until they open the door, THEN shoot them. ooops, mission's over, I'm insane; you NEED to force him to use the retinal scanner in order to get through the door.

Hitman 2 simply didn't give you enough information to make informed choices about how to perform your missions. Splinter Cell, towards the end, at least, is starting to move towards throwing in scripted events that simply CANNOT, by and large, be anticipated or figured out by paying attention, watching your surroundings, etc etc. Annoying.

15. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I'd all but given up on Hitman 2 but now I see I was going about it all wrong. I could sneak into the Don's house but I would invariably end up in a shootout with the guards once inside. I tried swapping clothes with the guard but whenever someone said 'hey you, come over here' I panicked and ran away. I guess I just don't have that natural hitman mentality[​IMG]