What's new

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy DVD review (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I got my R2 copy in the mail this morning. I'll be brief, because: (1) the R1 may be different and (2) I understand that the big bonus extra of the 'Don't Crash' making-of documentary is unique to the R2 version (a pity, because it's really good).

Okay, picture quality is acceptable (but there again, the original film wasn't a demonstration piece) and the sound is appropriately beefy in the right places (helped in no end by the DTS optional soundtrack). Extras (other than the Don't Crash doc) are okay, but not particularly special: a couple of genuinely deleted scenes, a missing Guide entry, a couple of spoof deleted scenes, a Marvin hangman game, a very brief making of set of interviews (the usual stuff) and a director's commentary (listened to some of it - seems rather more informative than the usual run of these things).

The big revelation is the film itself, which is much much better on second viewing. The story was one that was never going to lend itself comfortably to the time limits of a movie, but lounging back in a comfortable sofa without the great movie theatre experience of the hard of thinking laughing at jokes half a minute behind everyone else and blanking out the dialogue, it was pretty good second time around. Little details and background action become more noticeable, and it's a rather more enjoyable movie when you're not simply trying to follow the plot.

Unless the R1 version is a total lemon (which I doubt) then I'd recommend this disc, but provided you've got the equipment to play it and you're not going to have a fit of the vapours over PAL speedup, then pick up the R2 version for the extra documentary.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
we got the UMD in at work the picture is a real 10/10 and it has quite a few extras as well.

just incase anyone still cares about umd

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Just finished reading the book for the first time in 10 years or so. I was surprised by how similar AND different the book and the movie are.

It's been even longer since I read Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Did any of that make it into the movie?

A DVD I will most definetly pick up. I have a feeling I will enjoy it much more the second time through.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Is the original radio broadcast avaliable on DVD and/or CD? If so, how is it?

Also, the BBC mini-series covers the first two books, right (I ask because I was thinking about watching it, but figure I should read the second book before doing so)?

Thanks,

Jason

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Sounds pretty good. I missed it in theaters too but I'll be buying the region 1 blind when it comes out.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE: Forgot to say that there is a director's (with the actors playing Arthur and Slartibarfast) and a separate producer's commentary. Heard the first all the way through now and it's excellent with none of the 'darling you were wonderful in this scene' BS that usually plagues these things. Haven't heard much of the second commentary yet (I do have a life!) but it seems good as well.

I do hope that R1 gets the 'Don't Crash' doc - it is the best 'making of' doc I've seen on a contemporary film. Genuinely informative and whilst not particularly self-critical, not an ego massage either.

Am upgrading my opinion of the picture quality, which is better each time I look at it.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if there will be a more deluxe version of the movie coming out in the future?

Thanks,

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking that there might have been one planned before the unfortunate box office results. Unfortunately (according to the UK site) there are items that will be on the UK version that won't be on the US version.

Oh, well.

Neil

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
The film opened well and made its money back when it was all said and done. If the DVDs sell well, there probably might be a chance for not only a better DVD but "A Restaurant At the End of the Galaxy" film as well, albeit on a smaller budget.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Thanks, David. Are any of the trailers available on the DVD? I really enjoyed the "Don't Panic" teaser and the "Guide to Movie Trailers" trailer. (And the "Panic" trailer for Chicken Little would be worth having, too.)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Don't be too sure. Films that have made less at the boxoffice have had elaborate deluxe editions come out.

Sometimes boxoffice doesn't factor into these decisions.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I just picked it up this morning and I don't see any trailers anywhere... not for Hitchhiker's anyway. There's a ton of upcoming Touchstone film trailers included.
:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks