What's new

HITCHOCK’S “VERTIGO” RESTORED 60TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION SCREENINGS (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Fortunately, I do not suffer from any form of vertigo.
A fear of heights, though, may be a different matter.
Nonetheless, from where I stand, this new announcement has brought me to dizzying proportions.

M

Member 323668

VERTIGO released in 4K UHD would be a real sensation!

Any Hitchcock on UHD will be a day one buy for me, especially VERTIGO, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and TO CATCH A THIEF.

I fell in love with these classic Hitchcock pictures since the return of the five "missing" Hitchcock films in 1984. VERTIGO didn't look bad in 1984 when Universal / Mr. Pollock and Mr. Katz re-released the films, though. (15 years before the restoration of Mr. Harris and Mr. Katz)

Mr. Katz and Mr. Pollock (former Executive VP of MCA and Chairman of Universal Pictures) discussed the restoration in Jan. 2017 after a screening of VERTIGO. (highly recommended)

https://www.carseywolf.ucsb.edu/pollock-events/expanded-hitchcock-vertigo/

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
The current Blu ray was released in May of 2014. It's time!!

Real Name
John
VERTIGO released in 4K UHD would be a real sensation!

Any Hitchcock on UHD will be a day one buy for me, especially VERTIGO, NORTH BY NORTHWEST and TO CATCH A THIEF.

I fell in love with these classic Hitchcock pictures since the return of the five "missing" Hitchcock films in 1984. VERTIGO didn't look bad in 1984 when Universal / Mr. Pollock and Mr. Katz re-released the films, though. (15 years before the restoration of Mr. Harris and Mr. Katz)

Mr. Katz and Mr. Pollock (former Executive VP of MCA and Chairman of Universal Pictures) discussed the restoration in Jan. 2017 after a screening of VERTIGO. (highly recommended)

https://www.carseywolf.ucsb.edu/pollock-events/expanded-hitchcock-vertigo/
Mr Katz's memory has faltered a bit insofar as comments about the recording sessions of Bernard Herrmann's score. For example, Muir Mathieson conducted The Sinfonia of London [not the LSO]; and, later on, an unnamed orchestra comprised of the best musicians in Vienna. The VSO was not employed.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Is the current 4K master coming mostly from the camera negative and the separations? And were the separations digitally combined?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Clearly most of the films in the box set are not ready for anything. Vertigo could use another pass, frankly, and then Psycho, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, and Family Plot, not to mention The Trouble with Harry and The Man Who Knew too Much all need new 4K transfers - those were all from old masters and most of them are really bad.

Burning Olive

Auditioning
Real Name
Jiro
Thanks!

I heard about north by northwest.

I’m hoping we see some of these on UHd Blu Ray in the next few months.

Not likely, I'm afraid. Cohen Media Group has Jamaica Inn and Criterion has Rebecca and Notorious. Both companies haven't released any 4K Blu-ray yet. Also, I don't think Jamaica Inn is commercially viable enough. And Notorious is released in January this year, so even if Criterion should go 4K tomorrow, they wouldn't upgrade it so soon.

I guess Vertigo and North by Northwest are two most likely titles for now, since they are with major studios and two of the most popular Hitchcock films. Then again, both Universal and Warner Bros. haven't released any old Hollywood movie in 4K Blu-ray yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A proper restoration of Trouble With Harry and Man Who Knew Too Much would require going back to something resembling the original 8-perfs, which Universal either doesn't possess or simply can't use due to deterioration.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother trying to get a 4k scan out of a 4-perf reduction dupe from the mid-80s. It's already compromised.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m sure it will take time but that eventually we will see them on UHd.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A proper restoration of Trouble With Harry and Man Who Knew Too Much would require going back to something resembling the original 8-perfs, which Universal either doesn't possess or simply can't use due to deterioration.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother trying to get a 4k scan out of a 4-perf reduction dupe from the mid-80s. It's already compromised.

They have the VistaVision negatives. They just have to use them - I highly doubt they're unusable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks