Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Rumors are PSYCHO Mono audio track is a 5.1 Downmix!!!

Not sure if this is the same worldwide for all 4K UHDs for those that know how to spot the differences in UK / France would be nice to get confirmation if this happened.

Believe it is sadly true for the US 4K

Last edited:

Dave MJ

Second Unit
Rumors are PSYCHO Mono audio track is a 5.1 Downmix!!!

Not sure if this is the same worldwide for all 4K UHDs for those that know how to spot the differences in UK / France would be nice to get confirmation if this happened.

Believe it is sadly true for the US 4K
I hope this is not true. The 5.1 adds/changes many sound effects, is missing some effects and has a different music balance in key places. The original mono track is essential. If this is true, Universal should offer replacement discs.

Reactions: Powell&Pressburger

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Nice! Are the movies in individual cases or is this some kind of fold out thing?
Sadly no.... they are tightly squeezed in cardboard pages. The discs have to be pulled out. Ugh
All the supplements are old for all films except PSYCHO Uncut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cranston37

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I hope this is not true. The 5.1 adds/changes many sound effects, is missing some effects and has a different music balance in key places. The original mono track is essential. If this is true, Universal should offer replacement discs.
We're discussing this in the "Psycho" specific thread.

My summary: the mono does seem to match the DTS X track - but not the prior 5.1. Some foley missing from the old 5.1 is there on the DTS X and 2020 mono tracks, though it doesn't seem to be exactly the same foley from 1960.

However, it's clearly not the 1960 mono on the 4K - or the 2020 Blu-ray. For instance, the running water in the shower sounds different on the 4K - mono and DTS X - than on the 1960 mix.

So this is definitely not the 1960 mono mix on the 2020 releases...

Reactions: James Luckard

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also thoughts about the "Vertigo" audio, where a folddown is alleged by some:

I compared parts of the mono 2005 and the mono 2020 and found them to be similar. The gunshot in Chapter 2 - which sounded like a cannon in the 2005 5.1 - sounds the same in both. This gunshot sounds the same in the DTS X mix as well - no more cannon blast!

Also, some parts of the 2020 mono and the DTS X differ. For instance, when the Novak character jumps into the water, the foley differs between 2020 mono and DTS X. There's a "click" sound with 2020 mono that sounds dulled with DTS X.

The 2020 mono "click" matches the 2005 mono. The 2005 5.1 drops the sound entirely.

Also, the waves near the end of chapter 18 seem slightly different between 2005/2020 mono and DTS X.

That's just a sampling, but based on those isolated bits, I thought 2005 mono and 2020 mono sounded the same.

There may be differences between them, of course - I didn't compare every second of the movie - but the parts I checked were the same between mono 2005/2020, even when the DTS X was different...

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
VERTIGO which is on the top of my list as best film, looks fantastic .
The revelation for me is The Birds. I've never seen it look so good. There is one scene though with Tippi and Rod at the children's party that clearly was shot on a set ...the sand must have been flown in.
Otherwise I found the film more gripping that ever.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlramS