What's new

UHD International Hitchcock's Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Vertigo on 4K UHD - September 2020 (France)! (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw this screening of The Birds is scheduled for September:

Reactions: PMF

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I want these movies but will hold off to see what others think before pulling the trigger.

im thinking about buying the Hitchcock universal set from iTunes. Hoping that they would upgrade the films.

however there so many extra features on these films I may hold off and get a physical box set instead.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wonder if there will be any new special features.

One special feature I would like to see is the 3D sequence that was done for The Birds at the Universal Studios theme park attraction Alfred Hitchcock: The Art of Making Movies. They said that it was filmed but never used for the movie but, I found out later that it was done just for the attraction.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bill hunt posted that these may be coming later this year to the US market as well.

All right, one last item today. Our sources are telling us that Universal will be bowing its first Alfred Hitchcock titles on the 4K Ultra HD format later this year (likely in August or September). Among the titles to expect in the first wave are Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo, and Rear Window.

all buys for me

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m in on these releases too when the US releases are available. And I really hope that Paramount will take care of the issues of their new To Catch A Thief for a 4K release.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I’m in on these releases too when the US releases are available. And I really hope that Paramount will take care of the issues of their new To Catch A Thief for a 4K release.
As far as Paramount is concerned, there are no issues.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I picked up several of these titles in HD on vudu today. Disc to digital.

to catch a thief is the older transfer.

I’m interested in the 4k set of these titles too.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
These titles for me as long as the transfers are good are ones I will want in my disc library/collection.

Reactions: PMF

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Vertigo has upgraded to 4K on iTunes! At this time the other three titles in this set are still standard HD.

I bought the universal Hitchcock set in July and was hoping vertigo would upgrade to 4k for me as well. It has not however.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m curious if a 4K iTunes release of Vertigo is made from the same source as the last blu ray release? I recall at the time Robert Harris commented that the source material could have benefited from some extra work. Especially the dark scenes in the bell tower during the final sequence. if This and any of the Hitchcock’s are coming to 4K, I hope that the source materials were tweaked and had work done to make the upgrade a real upgrade. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’m curious if a 4K iTunes release of Vertigo is made from the same source as the last blu ray release? I recall at the time Robert Harris commented that the source material could have benefited from some extra work. Especially the dark scenes in the bell tower during the final sequence. if This and any of the Hitchcock’s are coming to 4K, I hope that the source materials were tweaked and had work done to make the upgrade a real upgrade. :)

The cynic in me says that these 4K releases will be sourced from the existing data, with nothing more than a HDR pass. I hope that I'm wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I suspect you’re correct. There is a 4K DCP of Vertigo in circulation for repertory theaters that is sourced from the same master as the existing Blu-ray. The recent Jaws 4K disc was also from the same master used for the BD, as was Spartacus.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I suspect you’re correct. There is a 4K DCP of Vertigo in circulation for repertory theaters that is sourced from the same master as the existing Blu-ray. The recent Jaws 4K disc was also from the same master used for the BD, as was Spartacus.
Vertigo has a 4K DCP, so that will probably be the same, but I don't know that any of the others do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks