OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Aside from Vertigo, why in 4k?
I would hope the reason is that these are from state of the art 4k masters that are supposed to make some money back for the studio.
That would be a good enough reason for me.

Hopefully Universal is also getting some work done on The Trouble with Harry and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Reactions: AlexNH and Osato

AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Vertigo in particular is in desperate need of new special features!!!! Not a damn thing has been created for this film since 2008. 12 years! That is pathetic considering the movie's current status. Jaws 4k didn't have anything new but it also probably didn't need anything more but Vertigo does!

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Ill probably get the USA set, which is certainly likely :) I will wait for reviews as normal.

Reactions: Osato

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Does The Trouble With Harry need work? I recall the Blu-Ray looking just great.
It looks okay - it is NOT from the VistaVision negative - you can't even imagine what it would look like done from that - well, I don't trust Paramount at the moment, but if it were done well it would blow your mind.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
It looks okay - it is NOT from the VistaVision negative - you can't even imagine what it would look like done from that - well, I don't trust Paramount at the moment, but if it were done well it would blow your mind.
THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY, along with all of his Paramount films except for TO CATCH A THIEF was owned by Alfred Hitchcock, and would be handled by Universal.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, for heaven's sake, I meant Universal - originally Paramount and that's what I had in my head.
I know. I meant that correction in the tenderest way possible. And Universal has done some marvelous work lately. So I'm hopeful.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
What I won't do is order them from France, now that Bill Hunt thinks they're coming out here in the States at around the same time frame.
I'll be thrilled to be able to get them here in the States. Who knows if Amazon FR will be shipping to the US again by September.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Vertigo was shot in VistaVision - none of the others were.
IIRC the best surviving elements for Rear Window and Psycho are 2-3 generations off and The Birds is loaded with process shots. Hitchcock was pushing the envelope with rudimentary 50s technology. The cost is his films don't hold up much definition under the scrutiny of a 4k scan. Even Vertigo's a bit chewed up under the fog filters and plates.

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
There’s no benefit in transferring film to 4K?
Generally, no. But dependent upon film and era. Generally, yes, if you're the one doing the licensing...
I understand perception of resolution depending on projection size, but what about benefit of color palette / high dynamic range? That's what I would look for in a 4k release (especially in Vertigo). Is there a reason this could not be a significant upgrade?

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I didn't see the posts commenting on condition when I replied (above), and I agree that flaws and effects can be more apparent in 4k releases. I'm still pretty forgiving of those unavoidable imperfections with older films, if dynamic range and color in digital formats can be improved, i.e. closer to original intent.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I didn't see the posts commenting on condition when I replied (above), and I agree that flaws and effects can be more apparent in 4k releases. I'm still pretty forgiving of those unavoidable imperfections with older films, if dynamic range and color in digital formats can be improved, i.e. closer to original intent.
Is it closer to original intent, though? Certainly, Hitchcock would have been well aware of what an audience watching a release print would be seeing, and that's nowhere near the clarity and stability of 4K digital.

AlexNH

Second Unit
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Does anyone know what happened to the original negative for Psycho? Destroyed?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
What missing footage, specifically? (Pardon me if I should already know this, especially since Psycho was the first movie I ever bought on VHS -- in 1982.)
"There’s probably less than twenty seconds of additional footage that existed in a German 35mm print that has been seamlessly added into the normal release we all have.

The additional footage involves one extra shot where Norman Bates is peeping on Janet Leigh undressing. In the version we all have and that every home video release has contained, we have one shot of her in her bra and slip, then a cut to Norman looking, then back to Janet Leigh having just put on her robe. In the uncut German print there is an additional shot of Leigh as she begins to take her bra off (and gets pretty far for 1960). The second sequence with additional footage is post-murder. Tony Perkins drags the lifeless body from the bathroom onto the shower curtain. He then looks at his hands and we have a shot of them covered in blood. Then it cuts to his face, he turns and goes in the bathroom and washes the blood off in the sink. In the longer German version there are longer shots of his hands covered in blood, mostly holding on the hands as he walks in the bathroom and goes to the sink. The final extended shot is in the Martin Balsam murder. He falls down the stairs, and mother comes after him, and stabs him again, then raising the knife in the air to stab again, at which point the shot fades out. In the extended German print, she stabs him once, the knife rises and she stabs him again, another rise, and stabs a third time, the knife rises for the fourth stab and the shot fades out."

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There’s probably less than twenty seconds of additional footage that existed in a German 35mm print that has been seamlessly added into the normal release we all have.
Are you saying all the German footage is now in this latest release?

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39