What's new

Hitchcock Presents Release? (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Will the upcoming UHD Blu-ray players be region free? And backward compatible to region B DVDs? Didn't pay enough attention to the CES this year to get that information, but it could be the silver lining to those of us who don't own region-free players currently, but may upgrade at some point (especially since my Sony player seems to be buzzing a lot lately).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
To me there is something doubly insulting to hear that "rights clearances" scuttled seeing the rest of this show released in R1 yet lo and behold we're getting instead "Cop Rock" on DVD. With all due respect to those who wanted that show, what a colossal waste!

Bill:N

Stunt Coordinator
To me there is something doubly insulting to hear that "rights clearances" scuttled seeing the rest of this show released in R1 yet lo and behold we're getting instead "Cop Rock" on DVD. With all due respect to those who wanted that show, what a colossal waste!
I just purchased the UK Season 7 as I have a region free player, however my computer indicates that, although it is PAL, it is region free. Hope this is of help to some of you.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Was it split ownership clearances? I don't recall much published music in those episodes. In any case, it's bad news but thank you for delivering it and not leaving us in limbo.

It has nothing to do with music. Many of the shows were based on existing published works, short stories, etc.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I've never known published works being an obstacle to DVD release until now. Given that many were part of S1-6 why would have it come up now?

EDIT-I now remember how "Six Million Dollar Man" was held up because of publishing rights etc. So yes, it isn't unprecedented but I'm still surprised it would come up now.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It has nothing to do with music. Many of the shows were based on existing published works, short stories, etc.

That's right. Hitchcock preferred using published stories as the basis for episodes because he felt they had already passed one level of scrutiny that way. He didn't have a lot to do with the show, but Ms. Harrison and Mr. Lloyd did generally accede to his judgment on that point.

Any chance of softening the bad news by hinting at the major unreleased series that might be coming, Neil?

Edit: Just looked at the Lou Grant thread. Hints received.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Regarding the Alfred Hitchcock Hour releases; does anyone know if the Madman R4 release is identical to the Fabulous Films R2 release? I also noticed the R2 release comes in a complete series set and was wondering if that contains the three individually packaged season sets in the case or is there different packaging with the complete series set?

I'm beginning to think about getting one of these releases, which ever one is the best, since Universal is going nowhere with this series.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Chris, The Fabulous Films R2 Alfred Hitchcock Hour complete series has the three individual season box sets in a cardboard slip cover box...the season 1, 2 and 3 sets are also available individually, same plastic boxes, overlapping 8 disc array in each...but the complete series box set is the better value...the episodes look stunning, beautifully remastered...I would think they are the same sources used on the Madman R4 sets...those sets cannot possibly be better, so either is great...I found that the Fabulous sets are more easily obtained...I got mine from Amazon UK...

I'm completely fed up with Universal...other than being pleased that they finally will do the right thing and give us Kolchak on a 5 disc set soon...I wish Universal would offer more TV series in their very limited MOD program so we could get Darren McGavin's Great one year detective series The Outsider (1968-69)...it was kind of a template for the later and equally Great James Garner series The Rockford Files...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks