What's new

Hitchcock in 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Would add To Catch a Thief and The Lady Vanishes to your list. Hitch peaked with NNW and then went into decline. I think he made more films in VistaVision (5) than anyone else.
While NbyNW may be his "peak" (tell that to Vertigo), Hitch didn't go into decline until Marnie IMO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While NbyNW may be his "peak" (tell that to Vertigo), Hitch didn't go into decline until Marnie IMO.
For me, Torn Curtain and Topaz are average at best and would be totally forgotten today if they hadn't been made by Hitchcock but I thought Frenzy was a good rebound from those. And while Family Plot isn't a masterpiece, it's a fun movie.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For me, Torn Curtain and Topaz are average at best and would be totally forgotten today if they hadn't been made by Hitchcock but I thought Frenzy was a good rebound from those. And while Family Plot isn't a masterpiece, it's a fun movie.
I have found Hitchcock's cinema is made up entirely of peaks and valleys. For every stretch of masterpieces, there's an equally long one of not so great films.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The period between Notorious and Strangers on A Train is certainly a valley.
The Paradine Case
Rope
Under Capricorn
Stage Fright

Though I like Stage Fright and will get the Warner Archive release.

Not a big fan of I Confess or Dial M for Murder, which came after Strangers On A Train.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The period between Notorious and Strangers on A Train is certainly a valley.
The Paradine Case
Rope
Under Capricorn
Stage Fright
Once he came to the U.S., that time period (and I even enjoy Rope) and when he made Torn Curtain and Topaz are his only really creative down points in my mind. Not that every movie is great but I find the rest to range from entertaining to basically perfect.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Those projected Spanish releases are tantalising. I'd be in for 'To Catch a Thief' if the current transfer problems are rectified .. though I enjoy 'The Man Who Knew Too Much' I don't think that little B & W masterpiece would warrant 4k much as I grab anything featuring Peter Lorre. I certainly wouldn't bother about the remake, even though one of my best friends can be seen prominently in the orchestra .. french horn player Barry Tuckwell, now sadly no longer with us except on film, vinyl and cds.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
May. From the bits:

In a bit of unofficial release news, it appears from retail sources that Universal has targeted 5/10 as the street date for their The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection: Volume 2 4K/Blu-ray box set, which—as we first mentioned here at The Bits last week—will include Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Marnie (1964), The Trouble with Harry (1955), and Family Plot (1976).

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
May. From the bits:

In a bit of unofficial release news, it appears from retail sources that Universal has targeted 5/10 as the street date for their The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection: Volume 2 4K/Blu-ray box set, which—as we first mentioned here at The Bits last week—will include Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Marnie (1964), The Trouble with Harry (1955), and Family Plot (1976).
Hopefully this means we will finally get a good looking transfer of Marnie.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Oook...

Saboteur and Shadow of a Doubt - filtered and duped to death
Marnie - Heavily filtered
Harry - IF its a scan from a 8-perf this might be worth it alone. If not...
Family Plot - Probably the most to be gained.

Yeah not a set screaming "BUY ME!" at first glance. I'll wait for the reviews.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Oook...

Saboteur and Shadow of a Doubt - filtered and duped to death
Marnie - Heavily filtered
Harry - IF its a scan from a 8-perf this might be worth it alone. If not...
Family Plot - Probably the most to be gained.

Yeah not a set screaming "BUY ME!" at first glance. I'll wait for the reviews.

I bought the universal set on iTunes. Enjoying the free 4k upgrades.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Once he came to the U.S., that time period (and I even enjoy Rope) and when he made Torn Curtain and Topaz are his only really creative down points in my mind. Not that every movie is great but I find the rest to range from entertaining to basically perfect.

For me, Rope may be my favorite film of his - it’s probably the one I revisit the most often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks