What's new

Hitchcock in 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
With news of a forthcoming French set of Hitchcock's films in UHD, I set myself the task of assessing Hitch's greatest movies (in my assessment, that is!) in the hope that we may one day see these as they truly deserve.
My shortlist of his greatest, in no particular order, is:

The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Notorious
Rear Window
Spellbound
Shadow of a Doubt
North by Northwest
Rebecca
To Catch a Thief
Dial M for Murder

There are of course many others that deserve this treatment. And I've probably inadvertently left out some that should have been shortlisted. Feel free to add suggestions if you think I've missed any out. 'Vertigo' certainly has a legion of fans, as seen by it being recently voted in a UK poll as the greatest movie ever made(!) and I can understand that 'Vertigo', 'Birds' and 'The Man who Knew too Much' (first version of course, sorry Doris) would have their own particular coterie of fans. Anyway, march on bravely into UHD land .. .maybe this would give Paramount an excuse to remedy its Notorious treatment of TCAT.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I take your point, Robert. I thought that when I posted. But it's possible that one day, UHD will be the standard for disc release. We can dream ...
Anyway, just to get TCAT in UHD to correct previous errors would be great enough by itself.
I wonder if my favourite musicals such as MFL, South Pacific, Oklahoma, Carousel and The Young Girls of Rochefort would be candidates. None of those are by HItchcock of course.......

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The Trouble With Harry would look terrific in UHD as VistaVision & the BD looks quite nice so the UHD would hopefully look a little better!

Marnie needs to come to UHD as well although I understand the source material will be a problem but it still deserves a 4K UHD IMO!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Voila

Sacre bleu! Somehow Hitchcock's films sound terrifically sexy in French: "Les Oiseaux"! "Fenêtre Sur Cour"! "Sueurs Froides"! "Psychose!" Even though this hasn't got a confirmed release date (a few announced European 4K releases don't materialise), this is great news. Maybe we'll even get the uncensored "Psychose" that was released on German blu-ray last year? Avec un peu de chance?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
From the digital bits:

All right, one last item today. Our sources are telling us that Universal will be bowing its first Alfred Hitchcock titles on the 4K Ultra HD format later this year (likely in August or September). Among the titles to expect in the first wave are Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo, and Rear Window.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Blu-ray.com and bill hunt both posted on the 4 film 4K set...

September?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is there any rumors about North By Northwest coming to 4k? I saw there was some 2019 screenings….

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Here we go!!

From the digital bits!!

Now then, in 4K Ultra HD catalog news, Spanish retail sources are indicating that Universal is planning another big wave of Alfred Hitchcock titles for release in 4K UHD this year.

This batch is expected to include Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Marnie (1964), The Trouble with Harry (1955), To Catch a Thief (1955), and Family Plot (1976). Remastering on all on all of them is apparently complete. Note that To Catch a Thief is a Paramount title here in the States, so expect it to come from them on their own schedule. The others would seem likely to be released as an Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection: Volume 2 box set by Universal here in the States, but we’ll have to wait and see.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's fine news, but personally I'd rather have Torn Curtain than Family Plot and The Man Who Knew Too Much more than almost any of those others.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's fine news, but personally I'd rather have Torn Curtain than Family Plot and The Man Who Knew Too Much more than almost any of those others.
:laugh: I was about to post how happy I am that Family Plot is getting some love. Although I'd say that I'd rather see Frenzy get a UHD over any of them except Shadow Of A Doubt (and I'd assume there's some debate about Shadow even benefitting from a 4K release).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
:laugh: I was about to post how happy I am that Family Plot is getting some love. Although I'd say that I'd rather see Frenzy get a UHD over any of them except Shadow Of A Doubt (I'd assume there's some debate about that one even benefitting from a 4K release).
I don't care for either Frenzy or Family Plot.:)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Here we go!!

From the digital bits!!

Now then, in 4K Ultra HD catalog news, Spanish retail sources are indicating that Universal is planning another big wave of Alfred Hitchcock titles for release in 4K UHD this year.

This batch is expected to include Saboteur (1942), Shadow of a Doubt (1943), Marnie (1964), The Trouble with Harry (1955), To Catch a Thief (1955), and Family Plot (1976). Remastering on all on all of them is apparently complete. Note that To Catch a Thief is a Paramount title here in the States, so expect it to come from them on their own schedule. The others would seem likely to be released as an Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection: Volume 2 box set by Universal here in the States, but we’ll have to wait and see.
I hope this information is correct because Marnie and The Trouble With Harry both need new transfers, the current Blu-ray discs being dreadful. Not being a 4K obsessive, I want 4K to be the spur to new, much improved transfers of all those titles where the current Blu-ray disc is way below standard. This includes The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) but also numerous non-Hitchcock titles such as Rio Bravo and Gigi.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Great news that To Catch a Thief is coming to 4k, also hoping that NNW will be released this year. Not a big fan of Marnie or Harry, but The Man Who Knew Too Much would be a welcome upgrade (even if just a blu ray).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I bought the universal set on iTunes. Those titles should upgrade to 4k for free.

I’m glad more Hitchcock titles are being released in 4k.

To catch a thief is one I would still buy on 4k disc.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
With news of a forthcoming French set of Hitchcock's films in UHD, I set myself the task of assessing Hitch's greatest movies (in my assessment, that is!) in the hope that we may one day see these as they truly deserve.
My shortlist of his greatest, in no particular order, is:

The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Notorious
Rear Window
Spellbound
Shadow of a Doubt
North by Northwest
Rebecca
To Catch a Thief
Dial M for Murder

There are of course many others that deserve this treatment. And I've probably inadvertently left out some that should have been shortlisted. Feel free to add suggestions if you think I've missed any out. 'Vertigo' certainly has a legion of fans, as seen by it being recently voted in a UK poll as the greatest movie ever made(!) and I can understand that 'Vertigo', 'Birds' and 'The Man who Knew too Much' (first version of course, sorry Doris) would have their own particular coterie of fans. Anyway, march on bravely into UHD land .. .maybe this would give Paramount an excuse to remedy its Notorious treatment of TCA
My fave Hitchcock (no one asked but there's a little contrast to yours.) Not ranked, just listed :
-Strangers on a Train (would love a Criterion of this one. (Pound for pound his most entertaining and one of the best villains in anything ever.)
-Psycho
-Rear Window
-Vertigo
-The Birds
-North by Northwest
-The 39 Steps
-Shadow of a Doubt
-Notorious
-Suspicion

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My fave Hitchcock (no one asked but there's a little contrast to yours.) Not ranked, just listed :
-Strangers on a Train (would love a Criterion of this one. (Pound for pound his most entertaining and one of the best villains in anything ever.)
-Psycho
-Rear Window
-Vertigo
-The Birds
-North by Northwest
-The 39 Steps
-Shadow of a Doubt
-Notorious
-Suspicion

Would add To Catch a Thief and The Lady Vanishes to your list. Hitch peaked with NNW and then went into decline. I think he made more films in VistaVision (5) than anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks