Hitchcock DVDS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DAN NEIR, Oct 7, 2003.

1. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

How many of Hitchcock's films are available on dvd and which would you recommend?

So far I have:
    Spellbound
    Notorious
    Psycho
    North by Northwest
    Rear Window
    Vertigo
    Strangers on a Train
    Marnie
    The Birds.

2. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

There are many Hitchcock DVDs out right now (and my wallet is hurting from trying to collect them all). I would recommend adding Paramount's fine disc of "To Catch A Thief" to your collection.

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Warner Bros:
    Strangers on a Train
    North by Northwest

Paramount:
    To Catch a Thief

Anchor Bay:
    The Paradine Case

Criterion:
    The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Rebecca
    Spellbound
    Notorious

Universal:
    Saboteur
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Rope
    Rear Window
    The Trouble With Harry
    The Man Who Knew Too Much
    Vertigo
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Marnie
    Frenzy
    Topaz
    Torn Curtain
    Family Plot

I have all of the above except the last 3, and Paradine Case (which I'll probably pick up someday). I also have the Laserlight editions of Sabotage/The Lodger and Young and Innocent. Keep in mind that the Laserlight DVDs (and any DVDs from other studios not listed above) are cheap, low-quality, and allegedly unauthorized bootlegs (though for some reason widely available).

It sounds like you're already hooked on Hitch, so I recommend all of them. If you can appreciate his "weaker" films like Spellbound and Marnie, then you'll probably like everything listed above (well, maybe not Family Plot). You've got all of what most people consider to be the "top tier" Hitchcocks that except for the other 3 Criterions and Shadow of a Doubt.

EDIT: not sure if these are legit or not:
    Image Entertainment - Under Capricorn, Jamaica Inn

4. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

Is Spellbound considered one of his weaker films? I loved it. As a psych student it's one of my favorite Hitch films. Marnie I do agree is probable the weakest of the ones I own.

I saw To Catch a Thief on cable recently and will be adding that one to my collection soon.
    How are Rebecca and The Lady Vanishes? I never got to see those. I wish they would release Dial M for Murder.

5. Matthew^Johnson

Spellbound is considered popularly (and by me) to be one of Hitchcock's lesser outings. But, I am a Dali fan, so it nonetheless has a warm spot in my heart. Ok, Dali and Ingrid Bergman. Me-ow. Rebecca is a Hitchcock/O'Selznik joint, so its a little heavy on the melodrama. But, then again, so was the book. And a subpar Hitch beats most any other film anyway.
    Anyhow, I'd advise you to pick up the Criterion editions of Rebecca, Spellbound, and particularly Notorious before January if those aren't the editions you have. MGM has picked up the rights to these films and these, in many respects, archival editions (complete with several commentaries, promotional material, and even Orson Welles's Lux Radio Theater radio plays) will be going out of print at year's end. Criterion will retain the rights to The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps and it is hinted that more Hitchcock is on the way from this studio in 2004.

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Of those you don't have, I would add next
    the one Hitchcock thought was his best film:
    Shadow of a Doubt and
    then add the one that I had heard was
    his favorite (though I do not remember
    the source of that information):
    The Trouble With Harry.

It depends on what aspects of Hitchcock
    you like. It is a frothy film, but
    To Catch a Theif is the
    one that features the two actors born
    to be Hitchcock's ideals: Grace Kelly
    and Cary Grant, and, at least for me,
    it is one of the most re-watchable because
    it is so fun and does feature them.

Mark

7. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads-up info on the Criterion versions of Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious going out of print soon. Glad I've got them all safe and secure already! (Spellbound was one of those copies that didn't play on my old DVD player but plays fine on my new one)

What other Hitchcock titles might conceivably come out from Criterion?

8. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

How about anamorphic Hitchcock? Anything available? I'd love to see Psycho, Vertigo and North by Northwest in widescreen anamorphic...

9. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Warner Bros. disc of North By Northwest features a beautiful anamorphic widescreen transfer of the film. But yes, I would like to see a new 16x9 transfer of Psycho, and to a lesser extent, Vertigo.

10. Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose Stunt Coordinator

Thomas Agermose Jensen
    I can recommend Foreign Correspondent (R2) if you have multiregion capability. Not sure if it is coming out in US. It's a Universal release so it should surface sometime in the future.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...637763-5263832

11. Matthew^Johnson

12. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

My Favorites:
    1) North By Northwest
    2) RearWindow
    3) Psycho
    4) Rebecca
    5) Vertigo
    6) The Birds
    7) 39 Steps
    8) Spellbound
    9) Notorious
    10) Shadow of a Doubt
    11) To Catch a Thief
    12) Strangers on a Train
    13) The Man Who Knew Too Much
    14) The Lady Vanishes
    15) Rope

13. ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke Stunt Coordinator

DVDuell.de
    If you can play PAL-discs with RC2, there is a 6-DVD-Box named "Alfred Hitchcock - The Early Years" from German label "Concorde". It features the following films:

- The Man Who knew to much (1934)
    - Sabotage
    - Secret Agent
    - Yound and Innocent
    - The Lady Vanishes
    - The Lodger
    - Downhill

The first five are placed on separate discs, the last two are on a bonus disc, featuring a documentary about Hitchcock. The docu has an english audio track with german subtitles.

The movies are presented in English with optional german subtitles. The silent movies have english intertitles with optional german subtitles. All discs are mastered from BFI-materials, so "The Lodger" is the restored and tinted BFI-version.

Cover-Artwork:
    [​IMG]

The box contains a 12-page booklet and a mini-poster with artworks of all 7 movies.

Here's a comparison-review of "The Lady vanishes" between the Concorde disc and the one from Criterion. The Concorde-DVD has better picture quality than the Criterion.

14. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

15. Matthew^Johnson

16. Jack_TN

Jack_TN Stunt Coordinator

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcriterion...ID= 418.topic

About 2/3 down the page you'll find

17. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

The box set is the exact same releases stuffed into a box. Rebecca still has 2 discs.

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

No one has recommended the recent Image release of Under Capricorn, so just a caution: this one is for Hitchcock completists only. It's a talky and boring costume drama with one of the worst performances I've ever seen from Ingrid Bergman. It's shocking how poor it is; there are a couple striking if not innovative camera techniques used but on the whole it's best skipped by those with a casual interest in Hitch. The transfer's not too bad, though, despite fairly heavy speckling.

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I just recently saw Rebecca on TCM last week. Great movie, even with all the heavy melodrama.

Just as a note, DVDEmpire is running a deal on some Criterion discs, including the Hitchcock collection. I recommend checking it out.

Jason

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart