Hitchcock DVDs -- Good vs. Bad

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Miller, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Since the newest release of Notorious, I thought I would drop this out there. How many of Hitch's movies are out on DVD? And out of those, how many are REALLY good (picture quality wise and sound, I've seen the movies)? How many have something better coming out?
    It's coming time to make the Christmas list, and I don't want a bunch of movies that look like crap or have a special or Criterion coming out out.
    Already have:
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    Birds
    Psycho
    and am really happy with all of those. What I still really want is Rope (which I understand is out, but how is it and is there another one coming out?), Frenzy, the Lodger, Torn Curtain, North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train.
    Well, you get the drift. What's good? What has specials coming out. Help me out!
    Thanks!
    Doug

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    NORTH BY NORTHWEST is a must. Looks absolutely fabulous on DVD. Get it for sure.
    I know some websites have list of all the Hitchcocks on DVD. Try a GOOGLE search with "Hitchcock DVD" and you should turn up some good stuff.

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

The Trouble with Harry is funny for a black comedy. But I dont' know if anyone could not want North by Northwest. I'm not sure but it seems to me that most of Hitch's stuff is out there on DVD. Not sure what else is slated for special editions.

4. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket here, but does "Hitch's" grate on anybody else's nerves besides mine? I remember a thread here recently about spelling directors' names right. Surely name shortening is just as disrespectful.
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join the JJR512.com [email protected] Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Justin,
    Many friends of Hitchcock refer to him as such (Hitch) in documentaries and interviews. I know that HTF'ers weren't friends or contemporaries of Hitchcock's but I guess we watch so many documentaries on him that it "feels" right to call him by "Hitch."
    I don't consider this disrespectful, nor a misspelling of his name.

6. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I can recommend the Frenzy, the man who knew too much and North by Northwest discs. They have all been restored and look good-great imo.
    ------------------
    - Michael
    My DVD collection

7. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

I highly recommend both North By Northwest (almost a reference disc) and the Criterion Notorious. Even though I only rented it, the Criterion 39 Steps is amazing looking and full of nice extras.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    All of the Criterion Hitchcock's are a must and North By Northwest is a superb DVD.
    Most Hitchcock DVD's are very good...the only ones you need to avoid are the dismal public domain dvd's. Criterion DOES have some public domain Hitchcock's, but they're of very good quality.
    Universal's are pretty good...their 1956 The Man Who Knew Too Much isn't as good as it should be, but it's still pretty good.
    ------------------
    Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
    and
    The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/

9. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I have Criterion's The Lady Vanishes and thought that to be of very good quality - another one I have done by Warner Bros. and doesn't get enough play is Strangers on a Train - 2 different versions of the film, and this film has been ripped off so many different times it's ridiculous!!

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    All of the Universal titles are very well done with the exception of Man Who Knew II, which is in need of a proper restoration.
    RAH

11. Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman Stunt Coordinator

Since "The Man Who knew Too Much" is still in need of work, what was used for the transfer on the DVD? The same question goes for "The Trouble With Harry". Also, since the Paramount Hitchcocks were in such bad shape even by their 1983 re-issues, how were new prints made of them back in '83? Old dupes?
    [Edited last by Joseph Goodman on October 20, 2001 at 08:51 PM]

12. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I believe I have every one of the available Hitchcock films from the 1st Man Who Knew Too Much through Family Plot. As has been said, all the Universal (except for Man Who Knew II), and the Criterions are quite good.
    I also have the Image version of Jamaica Inn, and LaserLight versions of the some of the early British stuff not on Criterion. I also have the Madacy (gasp!) of Secret Agent. All these public domain versions are perfectly watchable, and will do for me until better transfers are issued, if ever. They are certainly noticeably better than any VHS, IMHO.
    I refuse to be without Young and Innocent and Secret Agent, so I'll take the public domains.
    I also thought the Anchor Bay versions of the 40's stuff was also quite good, and will be hanging on to my Spellbound and Paradine Case until replaced by Criterion, or whoever.
    Cheers

13. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Hitchcock is actually pretty well represented on dvd. The main missing ones are:
    To Catch a Thief
    Dial M For Murder
    Lifeboat
    Foreign Correspondent
    Suspicion
    Stage Fright
    and probably a few others.
    But certainly most of his work, and almost all of his really good stuff is available. Get Criterion versions whenever possible (especially 39 Steps and Lady Vanishes) and avoid Madacy at all costs. You'd be safer getting into a shower with Norman Bates than subjecting your eyes to a Madacy disc.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden