HITB - Any opinions on the Kenwood HTB-506?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dpippel, Mar 29, 2004.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm trying to hunt down an affordable yet servicable home-theater-in-a-box system for my sister-in-law (man, look at all those hyphens! [​IMG] ) Her budget is $500 or less (stressing the less). She's not an audio/videophile, she's in Tucson and I'm in Pennsylvania, I don't have the time to actually audition any equipment, but I'd like to hook her up with something half-way decent. She already has a DVD player so just needs the audio side of the equation.

Does anyone have any experience with the Kenwood HTB-506? The specs on the receiver seem decent enough so it looks to me like the speakers might be the weak link. I'm also considering the Onkyo HT-S760, but at $100 more (and on the bleeding edge of her budget) I'd like to go with the Kenwood. Anything to avoid sending her to Best Buy for KLH or Bose! Help me out here. Thanks!

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I'm sure people around here are getting tired of me (and others) recommending Onkyo htib's but they really are that good. Look for the Onkyo 660 or 510 htib. They can be had for under $400 and Fry's often has the 660 for only $299. They are only 5.1 unlike the 760 which is 6.1 but one less channel will save you about $100. I also really like the Yamaha 440 5.1 but it's closer to $500. Hope this helps. Gene

3. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Go with the onkyo, you won't regret it.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Thanks very much for your input guys. I appreciate it.

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I had the Kenwood HTB-506 and it was great for the price. I quickly realized I needed more juice and better performance that I could not squeeze out of a $500 system, so I sold it and upgraded my entire HT. Nonetheless, I had the HTB-506 for 7-8 months and it was quite impressive: decent speakers, good sub, wonderful receiver and remote.