Hitachi X (Director) 57 vs. 65, input please?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by HowardPaul, Oct 2, 2004.

1. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

Hitachi X 57 vs. 65, input please?
    Hi all,

I've decided to purchase a CRT RPTV.
    I saw the Hitachi X series 57 inch at my local store and it was gorgeous.

They did NOT have a 65 inch on display.

Could those who have seen both tell me if there is much difference in sharpness/brightness in the 65? I was told the two sets use the same CRTs.
    For my room, 65 is a better size but I don't want to sacrifce sharpness/brightness for size.

Also, is it true that the 2003 and the 2004 versions of these Director Series sets are identical?
    Thanks!
    Howard

2. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Howard:

The X500 are the best and it's definately good choice to make in purchasing this. I do have plans to get one in the future.

One thing you can consider is to get the TV ISF calibrated as well to make it perform better. Since the set is well calibrated from the factory, the amount of ISF calibrations needed to be done will be reduced to save money.

There is no Director Series for 2004 line of Hitachi TVs RPTV line. The X500 is the last of the Director Series from what Hitachi has told me.

There is a Director Series from 2002 which is the XWX. They are similar because this set uses WideNeck I CRT while the X500 uses WideNeck II. The same Deep Black Sheild is being used as well. I own the TWX which is the same as XWX w/o the built-in tuner and I can say the picture is awesome.

There is no difference between the 65 and 57 as long as you set at the proper viewing distance for the TV then it will be fine.

matt

3. RichG

RichG Agent

I concur on the 57X500. It is a great set and I did save $50 on my calibration. This was due to the Geometry being near perfect out of the box. However, don't take this as an indication that calibration will not help this set. It makes a huge difference. Probably a 30% increase in picture sharpness and black levels in my case. In addition to the gray scale, the mechanical/electrostatic focus required adjustment, and the interior of well surrounding the CRT's were lined with black duvetyne. Also, you want to make sure you get an experienced person to perform the calibration. Some stores send their salesman or delivery person to a two day course to learn to calibrate and then turn them loose on their customers. This happened to me and my Pioneer Elite picture ended up green.

4. HowardPaul

HowardPaul Stunt Coordinator

Hey Rich...thanks for the input.
    Do you know if the 65" compares favorably to the 57"?
    That's really my question.
    Howard